White Fire Eel, please help

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
Hi, my Fire Eel hasn't been eating for around 2 or 3 months (I've tried everything at this point) so I resorted to feeding live river shrimp, which he accepted straight away.
Then I saw both my Fire Eels gasping for air (the tank is well oxygenated) so I did a 50% waster change and fed the rest of the shrimp.
Then the next morning found both the Fire Eels gasping for air again, but the one who ate the shrimp is almost completely white.
It doesn't look like Ich or Fungal, just the skin is white.

pH is 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5-10
Temp 28c.

There's a thick biofilm at the surface, the output is breaking up some of it. Thinking it might be the shrimp.
No contaminants in the water, no soapy hands, no air freshner sprayed nearby etc.
Tank is a 6x2x2 and tank mates are Bichirs, Gar and African Arowana (still considerably small, bioload is still low) moving into a trop pond soon.

Not sure what to do at this point, any ideas on what this might be and how to handle treating it?

I'm thinking of small water changes every day?

image.jpg

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
Is there shrimp rotting in tank might check. Hospital tank him if you have to maybe try methylene blue at 1/2 dose and salt.

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
Thanks man, he is doing much better now and off the shrimps. He had just ate too many shrimps and the shells caused a blockage. As for the whiteness, I think as you said, he must of ate a rotting one. Just needed some epsom salts to help pass the shell and a big water change :)
He's now thicker than my arm and smashes through so much food haha

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store