white largemouth bass +- 2 pounds - albino?

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
Sorry no pic,
My buddy caught a white largemouth while fishing a local pond last week. The way he described it to me it sounds leucistic. Black eyes and extremely bleached looking. No visible lateral line or coloration. Just silvery white.
I almost hit him as he was describing it to me, no pic no video and no phone call. And I was test driving my newish 150 gallon. Anybody have experience with anything similar in largemouths? He is not a person who I would call bs on nor do I think he would say it as a fish story. I fish the pond often and might hit it more often now. Any ideas what the demand would be like for something like that?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Hmm, I suppose any animal can be albino - that'd be great to see - if i were you with an empty 150 i'd beat him hahaha that'd be sick to have xD

I imagine anybody who keeps largemouths exclusively would be all over that, just depends on who they were as to how much they'd pay for it, i've caught a few bass with very light to almost no markings, but never a full on albino they always still had a green tinge at the very least

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
white LMB are quite rare. are you sure he caught it? im not really sure of alot( any really) examples of them. Yellow, yes white no.

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
thats what he said. He's a good friend and fellow soldier. Not the type of guy that would lie to me. He took some pics of some larger bass he caught the same day. Just don't understand why he wouldn't take a pic of the unusual bass.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
fishtex;4665438; said:
Sorry no pic,
My buddy caught a white largemouth while fishing a local pond last week. The way he described it to me it sounds leucistic. Black eyes and extremely bleached looking. No visible lateral line or coloration. Just silvery white.
I almost hit him as he was describing it to me, no pic no video and no phone call. And I was test driving my newish 150 gallon. Anybody have experience with anything similar in largemouths? He is not a person who I would call bs on nor do I think he would say it as a fish story. I fish the pond often and might hit it more often now. Any ideas what the demand would be like for something like that?
It definitely sounds leucistic. I bet that someone would definitely buy for an exorbitant amount of money it if you acquired it and offered it for sale.

How big is the pond in question?

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
I would estimate around 2 acres. Maybe smaller. I've caught tons of fish out of it, nothing out of the ordinary for me though.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
it would be worth money, but i dont think it was a luestic bass. simply put, xanthic u see, luestic u dont. i could have been just a light colored bass or something but i dont think it was a true luestic.

Reactions: That_Guy_Foot

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
fishtex;4666864; said:
I would estimate around 2 acres. Maybe smaller. I've caught tons of fish out of it, nothing out of the ordinary for me though.
Maybe you'll get lucky and catch it the next time that you go fishing there. Any chance that you could get someone with electrofishing equipment out there?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4666871; said:
it would be worth money, but i dont think it was a luestic bass. simply put, xanthic u see, luestic u dont. i could have been just a light colored bass or something but i dont think it was a true luestic.
Hmm, I never really considered that it could be xanthic. No matter what it is, it sounds like it was a cool fish.

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
Theres a chance but I wouldnt end up with the bass. And that would be unaceptable. xanthic would have some type of coloration or patterns right? This is a clear water pond with tons of grass and normally produces nice darker colored bass.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
xanthic is the yellow coloration. im not doubting him or you, that thier was a white bass. what im doubting is 1, its leustic 2, that its leustic. lol. they just arnt around. its prob just an abnormal colored bass but not a full blown leustic. non the less, go looking. they are rare

makes me sad about the 4" xanthic bass i caught once..... if its still alive(doubt it, have to be 10 years old) its in my grandfathers pond

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store