White slime coming off my fish

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
Hey folks!
I have a sudden issue happening after we were told they were upgrading the water systems in my area. I have 2 oscars that have grown up in this tank from about 2' to now. Nothing has changed in filtration or decor and they have done well. My test card says there is no ammonia, but.....both fish suddenly have a pure white slime coming off of them. It looks like they are shedding their slime coats. I did a water change just before this happened and used Stress Coat as a conditioner like always. I measure it out, not just dump it. They won't eat and they just lay on the bottom. Their color is not bad and they breath fairly smoothly (not stressed). No other fish have been added to them and I never feed live food.

There are no holes in either head, or any rotting fins. I was told by a LFS employee that perhaps my sand was holding either some type of fungus or that it was just dirtier than I think. But my nitrates are right, my ammonia tested ok and this all started after a water change. Help??

I have used white pool sand in the tank and just some large pots or lava rocks. Nothing live. I keep my filtration media clean every month and I also have 2 XL Rocket filters inside the tank with floss and lava rock. They bubble for O2 in each corner. The water is sparkling clear but my fish are dying, I think. Any ideas?? :(

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
was there allot of micro bubbles in the water?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and what test kit are you using?

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
no, the bubbles are fairly good size as there is no stone in these Rockets

its an API test kit with the liquids. I also have a seachem ammonia card in there and its yellow like there is no ammonia.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
during water change esp if weather is cold can create micro bubbles and the fish will shrug there slime coats, I would keep an eye on it, but not worry to much about it unless things seem to be getting worse.

Reactions: tlindsey

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would change water conditioner to Seachem Prime or safe. no need for the stress coat stuff, Oscars pout, they will lay on there side looking pathetic, tipicle(sp) Oscars behavior.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
keep an eye on them by all means but think they are fine.

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
I just checked them again and now one that is hiding on the floor behind a pot has one eye cloudy or covered with this slime. Its not cotton-like or furry, its like the slime coat. The male looks much worse today than yesterday. I thought he was dead this morning, but he moved when I opened the top. But they are just down. I try to do water changes as close to the same temp as I can. So it wasn't any extreme difference.

I don't have any salt in there....that was also a suggestion. But I didn't want to change too many things at once. I think the sand is definately dirtier than I thought. So maybe my ammonia is too high and my test is bad??

LunarValkyrie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2015
United States
I did buy some Prime today. The guy at my LFS said they use it instead of Stress Coat.

They are always good eaters...I make my own food and use Mega One pellets. They jump almost out of the tank sometimes. And they have been down for days since my water change.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no need for stress coat, Oscar are very hardy fish, do the water changes, always prime for size of tank not water replacing and they should be fine. And they are oscars they tend to have little pitty parties, 'ohh you moved my rock waaaaaa"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store