White Worm whenever I water change?

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Hi, whenever I seem to do a water change these white worms appear in my tank, now Ive heard theyre a sign of bad water but I have good water (tested it a few times) and they only ever appear in this mass when a water change is done.

What are they and how can I get rid of them? Ive cleaned the filter out before and theyre still here

Photo shows the worms all over the water

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I think they may be detritus worms, if the fish aren't sick that's what they would appear to be and it means the tank needs a deep clean and probably a gravel change. Like strip it to bare bones and clean it down. The worms eat leftover food and poop.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Its at 26 usually but during water change drops to 24.5/25, these always come out then but never used to. The fish arent ill either. Nitrates are high but everything else is fine, theyre higher than normal the nitrates but not deadly high

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Post the numbers of your aquarium testing as we don't know what you consider high nitrate.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Like I said before they are most likely detritus worms but that means you need to strip the tank down and throw away any plants scrub the wood and scrub the tank thoroughly. Get rid of the gravel unless you clean it with vinegar a pound at a time.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
They are detritus worms, quite harmless, they are a tell tale sign of overfeeding. Feed more sparingly, do more gravel vacuuming and they'll disappear just as quick as they came.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
They are detritus worms, quite harmless, they are a tell tale sign of overfeeding. Feed more sparingly, do more gravel vacuuming and they'll disappear just as quick as they came.
Hello; I agree and would try this before the more extreme tear down and use of vinegar. Overfeeding is likely the problem. Likely is adding to the high nitrates also.
Feed only one time a day. Feed less. Do a day or two of fasting each week.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I suggested the big break down because of the sand in the bottom and the potential for eggs to be left behind. I had to do a total break down of my aquarium to get rid of all of them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store