Why did my Spotted Gar Jump Out?

A

AquaAlex1993

Woke up this morning and went to check on the fish like I usually do. Everything like fine like always, silver dollars active and colorful, and all the other fish were good. I noticed the gar was missing. I spent 20 mins looking for him until I found him in my box of supplies dry as a desert and he had somehow turned his body into somewhat of a ''U'' or ''Y'' shape. Like he broke his back or something.
My question is, what caused him to jump out and kill himself?
I mean, he was eating perfectly fine, health was good and no one bothered him. I was starting to bond with him, he was eating market shrimp and night crawlers out of my hand.
One thing I can assume at this point is that he got spooked by the silver dollars activity. They swim up and down the top and bottom of the tank. I've noticed he didn't really like it much and darted out of the way. But, he got used to it a week or so in. But, maybe he couldn't handle it anymore?
R.I.P. little buddy. Damn, I hate losing a fish. I hadn't lost a fish in a while.

A

AquaAlex1993

Alex...

Sorry about your loss but the real question is how did the gar jump out;do you not have a lid or was it left opened?
The jump was easy for him.
I currently don't have a lid anymore. The tank is open air. I had 2 glass lids but they broke one day when I was doing a water change some huge carib-sea life rock fell on them as I was stacking up the rocks on a chair after I just shut down my saltwater tank.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Had a 11 inch Florida Gar jump out of my 180 with glass lids and it was eating well harassing a fish or two. After research after it jumped out read that Gars jump even in the wild.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Had a 11 inch Florida Gar jump out of my 180 with glass lids and it was eating well harassing a fish or two. After research after it jumped out read that Gars jump even in the wild.
Top water fish naturally feed from the top and commonly jump....gar, aro, hatchets etc. Weighted lids are a must if they are kept in smaller tanks.

A

AquaAlex1993

Many fish we keep will jump from time to time. They may get spooked or may be unhappy with their surroundings due to water conditions, tank size, tank mates etc. it's important to always keep your tank covered.
Very well said. Stupid me, I did not even think about lids. I should have went out and bought new ones. The water conditions were perfect, I had just done a 50 percent water change yesterday and tested the water. I have a pothos plant plus 3 filters and do water changes every other day because of the stock as I wait for my 6' tank.
That is most likely the case. I should have used something, maybe even rubbermaid tub lids.

Yea, I kind of figured they are jumpers. I remember Uaru Joey's gar jumped out too.
Top water fish naturally feed from the top and commonly jump....gar, aro, hatchets etc. Weighted lids are a must if they are kept in smaller tanks.
Yea, arowanas are the WORST jumpers. They jump for fun. However, I had a jardini that never jumped he was in a 150 in a tank almost alone except he had 3 redhooks and a niger cat as tankmates. Silvers and Black almost always jumped, but there was 1 silver who didn't.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I had a chalceus who I'd often hear knocking the lid for no given reason, open tanks are looking for trouble. My only open tank has shrimp in.

It's sometimes to do with tankmates or water conditions

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

I had a chalceus who I'd often hear knocking the lid for no given reason, open tanks are looking for trouble. My only open tank has shrimp in.

It's sometimes to do with tankmates or water conditions
I love chalceus! Pretty neat fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store