Why does my snail have an erection?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
not a boner. a syphon. they get close to the surface, extend it to the top to breath surface air
mines bigger!

20.JPG

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
phaedraeos;1503449; said:
he was doing it at the bottom of my 75g though!
just looking for air, your tank may not have enough dissolved oxygen. may do something to add more O2 to the water

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
My last Giant apple snail went missing for a few weeks until i found it stuck in between two rocks. i got it out and it stayed in the same spot and didnt more for another 2 weeks. when i got my refugium to medicate a clown loach(which didnt work out) i put my madtom catfish and the snail in there because the powerhead add a ton of O2 to the water. After 8 hours of putting the snail in the refugium with the super oxygenated water, he out an eating. Added O2 will do wonders for the snail. only time i see them use their syphon is when the O2 levels are low.

Caitlyn 032.jpg

Caitlyn 033.jpg

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Snail erections. *sigh*

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
you better not let your loaches see you looking as snail boners! they'll get upset

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
i'm pretty sure the tank has enough oxygen - there's a bubble want that stretches all 4 feet across the back of the tank, as well as a powerhead that adds oxygen. the 2 filters are an aquaclear 110 and fluval 404.

it could be because i just did a water change

and, just to be completely clear here, i meant the title as a joke. i did not truely by any means think my snail had an erection. :shakehead

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
toehead11183;1503586; said:
My last Giant apple snail went missing for a few weeks until i found it stuck in between two rocks. i got it out and it stayed in the same spot and didnt more for another 2 weeks. when i got my refugium to medicate a clown loach(which didnt work out) i put my madtom catfish and the snail in there because the powerhead add a ton of O2 to the water. After 8 hours of putting the snail in the refugium with the super oxygenated water, he out an eating. Added O2 will do wonders for the snail. only time i see them use their syphon is when the O2 levels are low.

Thats a very nice little set up you have for them in your main tank. Doesnt the madtom need very cold water while the apple need warm water?

I never had either but would like to try a few apple snails in my mollie tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store