Why haven't Coldwater species have been popularized yet?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Dive keeping one cichlid (cutteri) isnt really a large enough sample also maybe you skimped on reseach i have agressive cichlids in with little fish/community type non cichlids in all of my tanks with no issues its about knowing each fish requirements and finding suitible matches.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Little guys were fine for the first week, even with the ever pestering giant danios. But then they just started attacking the catfish so I had to pick whether to keep the pair of cichlids or a striped raph and gibbiceps pleco, and after making my decision and asking everyone in the house which the liked better we decided unanimously to get rid of the cichlids. They're with a great new owner now though, they've got a 180g all to themselves for breeding.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Little guys were fine for the first week, even with the ever pestering giant danios. But then they just started attacking the catfish so I had to pick whether to keep the pair of cichlids or a striped raph and gibbiceps pleco, and after making my decision and asking everyone in the house which the liked better we decided unanimously to get rid of the cichlids. They're with a great new owner now though, they've got a 180g all to themselves for breeding.
I remember when all this went down you have to keep in mind though you were trying to breed them that is typical spawning behavior to me that's part of the enjoyment of these fish trying to get them to work in a community set up sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't I've been tweaking my stock in one of my tanks for quite some time I had a yellow acara that never bothered any other Cichlids whether they be small or large but when I added a juvie pearsei all bets were off she absolutely hated the fish we can't blame these fish for acting the way they do it's part of the species maybe the tank wasn't large enough for your pair you might not have had this issue if you had a single cutteri. Cant blame the fish its pretty common for most cichlids to get aggresive when they pair up. Only way i would keep pairs would be in a species only tank

Could be some user error too

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
I'd rather have a tank with a bluegill and native cat than a tank full of ca/sa cichlids and definitely more than a tank full of africans.

I'd also probably like a native brackish tank more than a fancy reef tank. I want to see more temperate salties in the hobby. more gobies, sculpins, blennies, coldwater hermits, urchins, crabs, and the like.

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Me too! I doubt I will but me too! hahaha.
Is it important that you catch it yourself? I catch small longnose here easily. I could send a fish or 3 your way with little problem.

This thread irritates me. I got into fish keeping by keeping natives. I have kept cichlids, stingrays, snakeheads, probably others. I think above all others I would want snakeheads. Maybe cause the man says I can't. I don't know.

I got out of the hobby for about 5 or 6 years. I am getting back in now...with natives. I enjoy getting out and netting or fishing for the fish I keep in my aquarium. That alone makes it infinitely more interesting to me: to be able to get out and get my hands dirty fishing/netting for the wide diversity of native fishes I can find in my local waterways.

I will buy natives also on occasion (bowfin for example: native to my area, not very common but cool as hell).

Its all about personal preference. There are cool fish from all over the world in this hobby. If the other fish that aren't natives do it for you, then go post about how cool you think your fish are on the forum dedicated to your fish of preference.

Jaws7777 or whatever your name is: you obviously have a soft spot for tropicals and cichlids. I have kept many of those fish. By and large the pics you post of cichilds and non-native catfish don't do it for me. Sunfish and other natives (darters and minnows etc.) will feed out of your hand. It is not uncommon. It is a fact and no, I will not post a video to prove it to some random dude/chick on the internet. One year on the site and you have almost 2000 posts?! It may be time to reevaluate how you are spending your time. Maybe take a cue from us native keepers and spend less time on the internet and more time with your children fishing for the fish you keep in your tanks. You don't prefer natives? Then go post on the many other forums on this site.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Is it important that you catch it yourself? I catch small longnose here easily. I could send a fish or 3 your way with little problem.

This thread irritates me. I got into fish keeping by keeping natives. I have kept cichlids, stingrays, snakeheads, probably others. I think above all others I would want snakeheads. Maybe cause the man says I can't. I don't know.

I got out of the hobby for about 5 or 6 years. I am getting back in now...with natives. I enjoy getting out and netting or fishing for the fish I keep in my aquarium. That alone makes it infinitely more interesting to me: to be able to get out and get my hands dirty fishing/netting for the wide diversity of native fishes I can find in my local waterways.

I will buy natives also on occasion (bowfin for example: native to my area, not very common but cool as hell).

Its all about personal preference. There are cool fish from all over the world in this hobby. If the other fish that aren't natives do it for you, then go post about how cool you think your fish are on the forum dedicated to your fish of preference.

Jaws7777 or whatever your name is: you obviously have a soft spot for tropicals and cichlids. I have kept many of those fish. By and large the pics you post of cichilds and non-native catfish don't do it for me. Sunfish and other natives (darters and minnows etc.) will feed out of your hand. It is not uncommon. It is a fact and no, I will not post a video to prove it to some random dude/chick on the internet. One year on the site and you have almost 2000 posts?! It may be time to reevaluate how you are spending your time. Maybe take a cue from us native keepers and spend less time on the internet and more time with your children fishing for the fish you keep in your tanks. You don't prefer natives? Then go post on the many other forums on this site.
Amen to that.

I think that when the state gives the very fish you guys so passionately love it's hard for me to see what is so special to something that we raise and eat for dinner. Last time we stocked we put in 500 bluegill, 50 channels, 250 large mouth bass and 2 lbs of minnows. Not to mention the three large 2.5' grass carp. They seem no different than the cows in the field being fattened for the slaughter house or the hogs in their pens.

Point of view has a lot to do with this discussion. In jaws case he probably started with tropicals.
Dive and you were natives.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Ok duckie i guess your deeply offended by my lack of love for natives. If it makes you feel any better i was looking into them few weeks ago but chose to go a different route. Soft spot ? I guess so but many times on this thread i have said that the beauty of the hobby is there is no real absolutes only that i thought tropicals/cichlids were more popular because of the variety. Sorry if you cant handle the fact that i pointed out that thos horrible mean cichlids acted the way they did because of possible user error.

Your right i do post allot i like to learn about this hobby and i have this little thing called a cell phone and it allows me to do lots of things....its called multitasking. Thanks for the parenting suggestion from yet another wanna be internet tough guy...it would be so cool to meet one of you in person.

To me to you sound like a wanna be elitist nose pointed in the air "i catch all the fish i keep"
Please dude im understanding you native guys stick together but grow some thicker skin...dudes are bashing fish for there behavior when none of their conditions are being met.

Oh yeah my son been catching fish since he was three.... keep the convo on fish not families/personal

P.s.

Had this been posted in the general aquaria section i gaurantee you there would be allot more reasons on why they arent as popular

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
In jaws case he probably started with tropicals.
Dive and you were natives.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Actually, I started with tropicals and only kept tropicals for my first year and a half. I moved on to natives after getting bored with tetras, cichlids, etc. The only tropicals I still find interest in are Catfish, Livebearers, and Asian Cyprinids.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
I have a fifty gallon river tank set up and waiting for some panda garra, which I think are pretty cool. If my lfs fails again this week I`m going native with it, though i still don`t know what I would do with fry if they spawn. We`re not supposed to release them into the wild (using them for bait would be the same thing), the local shops won`t take them. I live in a rural area and if folks want minnows they go to the tackle shops and buy them.

I have a creek running on my property and I might fill it with only species I know live in it. At this point I know there are brookies and dace (not sure what species). I have not confirmed creek chubs and shiners. It is small, averaging about five feet wide and less than two feet deep. I digress.

It seems there is an active community of native fish keepers, though small, on the net and that should help encourage more people to keep natives. But temperate fish are found all over the planet. I have seen videos of people fishing with hook and line in China and catching some beautiful chub like fish and cyprinids that look like trout. Then there is the Alaska Blackfish, very cool fish, one I would go for in a heart beat!
This is what I appreciate about this site and especially this forum. I had never heard of Alaska Blackfish. Been reading up on them. pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
True, I won't argue that there is a fair amount of natives that only bring out their most stunning colors for breeding season, but that's not the majority of them. A pumpkinseed or longear will look amazing at any time of year though. I've just had much better experience with natives is all. My old cutteri cichlids just terrorized all tankmates and preferred to bite my hand rather than observe it first. My green sunfish (which by now you probably know, sunfish are pretty much the NA equivalent of cichlids) is much more personable than any cichlid I've owned and will handfeed rather than bite me, she's also intelligent enough that taught her to swim through my hand and jump for food. Getting in to the category of smaller fish, my redside dace at 4" will actually swim against the glass and beg for food! Something I've never observed in any of the tetra species I used to keep. And darters just top them all. They are some of the most intelligent and curious fish for their small size that I've ever seen. They'll all handfeed at 2", they watch you just as much as you watch them, and they'll explore every little detail of the tank that you put them in. And that, is why I like natives so much better than any tropical fish. I'm also seeing that people who like to claim how boring natives are don't bother to mention all the bland tropicals out there. But I don't complain about those fish because normally fish that lack color, whether native or tropical, will sometimes make up for it in personality. Some examples of bland tropicals that people keep.
I've personally observed the intelligence you're speaking about. I go snorkeling in crystal clear water by an island in my lake with a rocky bottom and I see TONS of crayfish, darters, gobies, and bass. I've observed tiny log perch flipping over small pebbles, it's AMAZING. I would see smallmouth bass mere feet away from me waiting to pounce on any escaping fish or crayfish. I got a nice action camera and hope to get some footage, if I do this summer I'll be posting it on my youtube channel (mihajlo525) :)

Sent from my GT-S7560M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
The two large cichlids I own are a 13" tiger oscar and a wild 8" kelberi peacock bass. And I could easily see a rock bass and a largemouth being the almost IDENTICAL native alternatives. Hell a peacock bass looks like a literal PERFECT cross between a yellow perch and largemouth. I CANNOT be the only one to think this!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store