Why Is It So Taboo For Someone Telling How Much They Bought A Fish For.

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Well I guess then some folks are just shy to tell their secrets. Me personally I will say how much I got a certain fish for with out any hesitation. I just like to know for personal curiosity and not to bad talk or hate on any members fishes. Its just a hobby, not that big of deal you know?

quovadis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
U S A
ArttyFish;4920849;4920849 said:
Well I guess then some folks are just shy to tell their secrets. Me personally I will say how much I got a certain fish for with out any hesitation. I just like to know for personal curiosity and not to bad talk or hate on any members fishes. Its just a hobby, not that big of deal you know?
beg to differ ////one's hobby can surely be someone's else reason for being ///

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Personally I myself have no qualms about sharing how much I pay for my fish, though I whole heartedly respect those that do mind sharing. I don't question the why of people's actions often though. It's like trying to understand why my girl friend love's collecting Coach an Louis Vuitton bags. I truly don't get it, but respect it. She can try a hundred ways to explain the appeal of them and it will just go over my head. It's the same for her, she'll never understand the vulgar amounts of money I spend on my fish and snakes. Still she respects me, sometimes with her draw dropped and clutching her chest though. lol. So though it is an interesting question, if your anything like me you'll find the answers to your question unfullfilling. Mostly because you can understand all the reason's why someone wouldn't, but just don't feel the same way. Still I could be wrong, maybe your more empathetic than I.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Oh, I thought up one last reason - some of us know people from MFK offline (either personally or just know they are in the same town/city) and do not like flaunting high price tags to them for many different reasons. Either we don't like them, don't want it getting around offline to people who wouldn't understand (family, NON-MFK'ers, etc), or don't want to get robbed.

Got to love New York...

(I realize this reason sounds sort of silly, but I assure you it has been applicable at times).

wmpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
uk
i have no problems telling people how much a fish cost me. only person i wouldnt tell is my girlfirend lol.

i can understand why people dont tell. personally after spending so many years keep fish i know roughly the going price of fish in the uk so can usually guess roughly what people have paid without asking.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Well, I dont really mind telling others my senegal bichir cost me $1.80 and my ornate cost me $12, but i still love both of them.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
In my experience, people who are so eager and open about the prices they pay are usually lying in order to hide how much they actually paid. The way you can tell who is lying is to ask them for topless pics of their wife. If they comply, they are open and honest and are most likely telling the truth. If they wont, then you know that theyre not sharing the true amount they paid.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
:screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store