Why is my Motoro stingray floating on top of the water??

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Looks like you have a native bluegill in the tank. I assume its wild caught and its possible the bluegill brought some sort of disease into your tank!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Some sort of stress..

1) Water Quality (water changes)
2) Tankmates (removal)
3) Parasites (Metro or Prazi)

Maybe add some Salt to help with Osmoregulation and make sure you don't have too much current in the tank.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
im sorry to say the ray looks like it has death curl and i dont think their is much you can do

that chouldnt of happend over night how long has the disk been curling for before it went to the water surface

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Get the ray into a seperate tank and put in black worms i had two of my rays due same thing the the last 2 weeks one died the nest day and i was able to get the other to rebound but chances it will make it are slim sorry and good luck.

Joefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2005
St Charles , IL
DavidW;498050; said:
what is the tank water temp? rays enjoy 78-80 most of the time..higher can cause this problem, warmer water holds less O2
is there lots of airation?
this could be from not enough oxygen in the water
test for ammonia and nitrites.
Bad water can also cause big problems

do several good water changes, at least 25% each time, use aged water.

sorry Miles but I disagree, Rays usually like a strong current and that also helps to oxygenate the water.

david you bring up a good point about aged water. only reason one would use aged water is for chlorine and PH shock correct?
if thats the case wouldnt a carbon filter or a dechlorinater work just as well?

only reason im asking is most hobyest do not have a way to hold water for (ageing) or in my case nothing large enouph to hold 40% of my tank volume of 240gals

i use my tap water with a dechlorinater and have for many many years with no problems.

sorry not trying to hijack the thread but you did bring up a good point

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
DavidW;498050; said:
do several good water changes, rays usually like a strong current and that also helps to oxygenate the water.
:D agreed

Joefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2005
St Charles , IL
I used to age my water when i had smaller tanks. but started becomeing a headach as i was doing water changes every other day.

once i am moved however i will start a auto drip system or do a large holding bin in my basement. :D

TAYALNTINE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
Phila., PA.
I had 2 Motoro's that use to do that. I would do my normal water change and they would jump up above the water that came out of the spray bar and turn it's disk like that and just float. When I first saw it I was like WTF?!?!? is happening? So, I touched it and moved it around the tank and it didn't even try to sting me or anything. I thought that they were just playing in the water current that came from the spray bar, but that wasn't it. About a month later I found 1 of them dead in the corner with curl and the next day the other 1 died with curl. They were both fine and eating well. I tested the water and I found out that I had a huge ammonia spike! Oh, and they were the only ones in the tank, and I never gave them live food.

I'm sorry to say that if you don't watch that Ammonia, you will have a dead ray within a month.

GL and keep us updated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store