Why is my water so dirty

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
That's much better. Remember that whatever fish you stock in the tank you will need to do regular water changes. For a moderately (not overstocked) stocked tank it is suggested to do at least 50% weekly water changes.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
fx6s are largely a gimmick in my opinion. unless your utilizing the mechanical media chambers your only going to fit at beast 1 gallon of media. thats really not sufficient for what the filter claims it can do. but on the plus side. the pumps powerful and it can move alot of water. when i had my fish room i had several fx5s that would feed overhead sumps. worked just fine. i would load the fx5 with nothing but polyfil and then load the overhead sump with pot scrubbies.
in a nutshell you need to increase water changes and even add another filter of some kind.
So In all of your opinions then what is the best filter

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
You could put in an under gravel filter with at least 2" of substrate and two powerheads on it. I know many are against them, but with two powerheads and that much gravel it would have the best chance. The gravel will have enough surface area to sustain the amount of bacteria required to keep the tank clear. Koi and goldfish produce a lot of waste. They put a load on a tank.
That is the best low cost solution in my opinion, but hey... I'm Olds-Cool...

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
You could put in an under gravel filter with at least 2" of substrate and two powerheads on it. I know many are against them, but with two powerheads and that much gravel it would have the best chance. The gravel will have enough surface area to sustain the amount of bacteria required to keep the tank clear. Koi and goldfish produce a lot of waste. They put a load on a tank.
under gravel filters are on a comeback forsure. they are just bigger and going into ponds. aquascape doing some crazy things with under gravel filters.

Reactions: johnnymax

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I actually loved these filters when I was a kid. One of my first tanks back then was a 125gal with an undergravel filter. I put six 1" red bellied piranhas in there and I'm ashamed (and amazed) to say that I never once did a water change for the years I had them in this tank. Yet all six piranhas grew to well over 6" and looked beautiful.

• Wow
Reactions: johnnymax
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store