Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I still think that I'm a monkey/something else hybrid. I like bananas and i can climb trees and stuff.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
pheedbak;490006; said:
I don't understand the fascination with hybrids and genetic mutations.

Hybridization and genetic modifications gave us things like killer bees.

They might seem wonderful when they are new and exciting but as time goes on we understand them more we realize the true nature of these man made creations.

Sometimes these frankenstein creations exhibit "hybrid vigor" which allows them to reproduce faster or out-compete existing species. The results are rarely good.

Genetic manipulation of food is totally misunderstood and most people view it as some kind of "good thing" because it makes farming more reliable or something like that. Not quite.

Now back to the topic...

Every Discus breeder claims to have their own strain...ya know... pidgeon blood, orange mango, whatever... To me they represent a genetic NIGHTMARE.

Blood parrots cannot close their friggin mouth?!?

There are so many wacked out goldfish to list...bubble eyes, brain looking "orandas"...

The flower horns are the the newest thing and I'm sure they won't be the last.

So now you know my opinion on this, please share yours.
unless ur parent, parents parents, etc.. are all from the same pure race from the beggining of humans ur a hybrid also. if u wanna get it on with that hot asian, latino or even whatever ur makin hybrids! i did it with a rabbit and check out my kid.(AVATAR):ROFL:

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
dmopar74;490273; said:
unless ur parent, parents parents, etc.. are all from the same pure race from the beggining of humans ur a hybrid also. if u wanna get it on with that hot asian, latino or even whatever ur makin hybrids! i did it with a rabbit and check out my kid.(AVATAR):ROFL:
hybrid from the same species

pheedbak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chicago, IL
I appreciate everybody keeping this a civil debate.

To clarify a few things...Human beings are all the same species. There is no hybridization going on there no matter what races of human beings are getting their shwerve on.

I was careful in my wording in my original posting because there are rare instances when genetic manipulations can work out well (for mankind). Dogs are a good example. Wolfs dont usually make good pets. Many highly modified dogs would not survive for long in the wild. But in the big scheme of things the wolf population shrunk as mankind developed more areas. We replaced the wolf with the dog. Its a give and take. I happen to like dogs but the wolf suffered dearly when we moved in.

Sorry about drifting off topic there.

My final point is that the scientific community usually doesn't find out the negative ramifications of our actions until we are well beyond the point of no return.

I'd just rather let nature do its own thing.

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
what is better for the planet if every discus sold was a captive bred hybrid or collected from the wild. these are pets and are not going to replace breeding colonies of endangered fish in peoples homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store