Wide Bar Silver Dollar Info Thread

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So instead of asking a single question here and then repeating over and over again with other questions to gain more information, I would like to create a single thread where multiple questions can be asked and a discussion can ensure. I think that way, we can lower the potential drama that I know oh so well and hopefully create an area of the forum where we can all learn and discuss things civilly.

So initially I thought I wanted to get a school of Wide Bars, Thin Bars and Blackberry's to have some variety. But after doing some research I have found out that Thin Bars and maybe Blackberry's only get to 6" or so whereas Wide Bars get to 10"+ (But please let me know if Blackberry's obtain 10"+). On top of that, there are a few species of Silver Dollar (Giant Wide Bar/Thin Bar/Wash Bar ) with only one so far that has a name (Myloplus Schomburgki). Some think that the real Myloplus Schomburgki is actually the "Faded Wide Bar" or "Wash Bar" and the Myloplus Schomburgki that has the prominent dark black bar is another species all together. That has yet to be seen but thought I'd mention it.

I'm most interested in the "Giant Wide Bar" with a prominent (not faded) wide black bar of the Orinoco variety although the Amazon variant would work too. So anyway, I would like to start this thread off with a single basic question and then once answered, more questions can be asked. And hopefully we can spark a discussion and learn a lot in the process. Feel free to chime in and ask your own questions if you have any but try not to overwhelm the thread with too many questions at once. We don't want to get someones question lost in the mix.

First Question: Are there any rules to how many SD's can be kept in a school similar to how it is with piranha? Does the number have to be even or odd? A certain minimum hat has to be reached etc?

Pictures of the different species that have been referenced:

Amazon Giant Wide Bar:
1572042928910.png

Orinoco Giant Wide Bar:
1572042968118.png

Wash Bar:

1572042867490.png

Thin Bar:
1572042758448.png

BlackBerry:

1572043024346.png

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
6" is "big" for a schooling fish. If it were me I'd get the BlackBerry, red hooks or thin bar. Smaller large fish will create a more dynamic school imo. Although red hooks are actually on the larger size of the sds.
As for the even odd thing I dont think that matters so much ive had the run of the mill sds in multiple numbers. Its hard to tell male female also and that did not seem to matter either. I had no idea what the mix was they were fine together. Every once in a while there would be a chase but no damage that I could see. They are very aggressive feeders and usually bully other tank mates during feeding time unless the tank mates are as aggressive with food. The problem mixing them with carnivores is they will eat whatever you drop in the tank and foods high in animal protein is not good for the sds in the long run. Mine loved spring mix lettuces, peas, and zucchini. I also fed nori and vegi flake food. But they also got plenty of other foods. I tried the feed some to these over here first and then the carnivore food over here but they are to quick and seem to have bottomless pits for stomachs. I grew tired of the fight and just kept the sds for a while. It was easier but I grew bored of them in time. They easily out competed my oscars for food. I eventually took the sds to the lfs and got new oscars.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The choice is really up to your personal preference! The widebars get bigger so maybe 12-15 of them or 24+ of the smaller myleus varieties. Whatever the case, you have a great tank to support them. I would go with a single species, but thats just me!

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
6" is "big" for a schooling fish. If it were me I'd get the BlackBerry, red hooks or thin bar. Smaller large fish will create a more dynamic school imo. Although red hooks are actually on the larger size of the sds.
As for the even odd thing I dont think that matters so much ive had the run of the mill sds in multiple numbers. Its hard to tell male female also and that did not seem to matter either. I had no idea what the mix was they were fine together. Every once in a while there would be a chase but no damage that I could see. They are very aggressive feeders and usually bully other tank mates during feeding time unless the tank mates are as aggressive with food. The problem mixing them with carnivores is they will eat whatever you drop in the tank and foods high in animal protein is not good for the sds in the long run. Mine loved spring mix lettuces, peas, and zucchini. I also fed nori and vegi flake food. But they also got plenty of other foods. I tried the feed some to these over here first and then the carnivore food over here but they are to quick and seem to have bottomless pits for stomachs. I grew tired of the fight and just kept the sds for a while. It was easier but I grew bored of them in time. They easily out competed my oscars for food. I eventually took the sds to the lfs and got new oscars.
That is true. Never thought about that before. How a smaller school of fish would compliment the showcase fish a lot better vs a school of larger fish. That's something I will have to ponder.

What would the feeding schedule look like for a school of Silver Dollars? Would I feed them daily? I know you mentioned feeding lettuces, peas, and zucchini as well as pellets. Would the pellets be their main diet and maybe once a week give them some lettuce or something? How would that work?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
The choice is really up to your personal preference! The widebars get bigger so maybe 12-15 of them or 24+ of the smaller myleus varieties. Whatever the case, you have a great tank to support them. I would go with a single species, but thats just me!
Yeah I am thinking of going only one species. I really like the idea of the bigger Wide Bars but twentyleagues twentyleagues does make a good point about a school of smaller fish complimenting future showcase fish.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That is true. Never thought about that before. How a smaller school of fish would compliment the showcase fish a lot better vs a school of larger fish. That's something I will have to ponder.

What would the feeding schedule look like for a school of Silver Dollars? Would I feed them daily? I know you mentioned feeding lettuces, peas, and zucchini as well as pellets. Would the pellets be their main diet and maybe once a week give them some lettuce or something? How would that work?
That depends on how old they are when you get them. Younger fish eat more meaty foods. I was told to offer leafy greens all the time even when young. But pellets with a decent protein content while young needs to be a staple. As they get older they need more greens. I fed mine veg everyday including on the days I fed a frozen meat item like mysis or brine or bloodworms. You just get some of those suction cup clip things and put the greens in them and stick them to the glass. Peas I used frozen and let them thaw for about 10 min at room temp and then just started chucking them in a few at a time. But I would do the clips every day with either greens or nori. Zucchini got lightly peels sliced into slabs (the long way) quick dip in boiling water then ice water bath. Usually put in the clips too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store