Wild caught juvenile Big Mouth Bass and Bluegills... Help?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I understand your devotion to the fish, I'm there brother, but size should a be a product of the devotion not the goal of it.

Regardless my main gripe is how people who start threads asking for help and advice are met with this almost condescending attitude of why they cannot keep said fish. I understand that fish aren't disposable and shouldn't be considered such but the attitude of trying to tell people that fish are so difficult that people with small aquariums are somehow less than the rest of us is quite self destructive to the hobby. If people had been that way when i was starting out I probably never would have started keeping natives... or even fish for that matter since natives preceded tropicals by a large amount...
I find if the fish grows to big there's often a similar fish that's smaller, fish such as: orangespotted sunfish, bluespotted sunfish can replace bluegill in a smaller tank

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I understand your devotion to the fish, I'm there brother, but size should a be a product of the devotion not the goal of it.

Regardless my main gripe is how people who start threads asking for help and advice are met with this almost condescending attitude of why they cannot keep said fish. I understand that fish aren't disposable and shouldn't be considered such but the attitude of trying to tell people that fish are so difficult that people with small aquariums are somehow less than the rest of us is quite self destructive to the hobby. If people had been that way when i was starting out I probably never would have started keeping natives... or even fish for that matter since natives preceded tropicals by a large amount...
I find if the fish grows to big there's often a similar fish that's smaller, fish such as: orangespotted sunfish, bluespotted sunfish can replace bluegill in a smaller tank.

Some of my favorite tanks I've kept have been rather small, and you can keep cool fish regardless of tank size, there's almost always something

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Moontanman Moontanman , is that a typo- redfin pickerel that don’t even reach half a foot?!?!??
That would be a badass mini pred. Please clarify, cause now I’m totally intrigued.

When is somebody going to post a pic of a 15” bluegill??

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Moontanman Moontanman , is that a typo- redfin pickerel that don’t even reach half a foot?!?!??
That would be a badass mini pred. Please clarify, cause now I’m totally intrigued.

When is somebody going to post a pic of a 15” bluegill??
No not a typo, I help with population studies, they exist in a very small series of isolated ponds that exist near me. I've been thinking of trying to breed them. They live in ponds that contain nothing but them and gambusia.

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
No not a typo, I help with population studies, they exist in a very small series of isolated ponds that exist near me. I've been thinking of trying to breed them. They live in ponds that contain nothing but them and gambusia.
If one were to drive out there and catch a few of these Pickerel, legally, are there laws against having possession of these fish while crossing into other states on the way back home? Is there a place to find out this info? Asking for a friend.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
If one were to drive out there and catch a few of these Pickerel, legally, are there laws against having possession of these fish while crossing into other states on the way back home? Is there a place to find out this info? Asking for a friend.
You'd have a problem, first of all they can only be legally caught using hook and line, second the whereabouts is somewhat of a secrete, thirdly they are on a wildlife perserve. Possession is not a problem nor is taking them across state lines. If i get a breeding population going I'll be selling them as part of my own stock.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I find if the fish grows to big there's often a similar fish that's smaller, fish such as: orangespotted sunfish, bluespotted sunfish can replace bluegill in a smaller tank.

Some of my favorite tanks I've kept have been rather small, and you can keep cool fish regardless of tank size, there's almost always something
Small sunfish like blue spots are my specialty I've been breeding them and black bands for years.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Small sunfish like blue spots are my specialty I've been breeding them and black bands for years.
My favorite small sunfish is f3 orange spotted x green sunfish.

But really I think a shovelnose sturgeon is near the top of my native wishlist

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
My favorite small sunfish is f3 orange spotted x green sunfish.

But really I think a shovelnose sturgeon is near the top of my native wishlist
Dollar sunfish are very nice fish, not real common, but fantastically colored. I have a line on some captive bred shovelnose, next spring hit me up and we'll see if the source I've nailed down comes through...

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Dollar sunfish are very nice fish, not real common, but fantastically colored. I have a line on some captive bred shovelnose, next spring hit me up and we'll see if the source I've nailed down comes through...
Awesome, if it comes thru you should start a whole thread about it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store