Will a clown knife be able to hold its own with a giant goramy ?

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well first off how big is the tank? But I agree with others, I wouldn't introduce them, but if you really want to, I would put egg crate to separate them so they don't hurt eachother, but can still see eachother, then from there I would put a hole in it big enough for the clown knife, but not big enough for the giant gourami so the clown knife can get to cover should the giant gourami go after it. I have found giant gouramis to have mixed personalities, I've heard of ones killing large cichlids, and I've heard of ones that are very peaceful, I only kept one once and he was a gentle giant, got him at 18 inches, he grew to 26 inches before he died.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Well first off how big is the tank? But I agree with others, I wouldn't introduce them, but if you really want to, I would put egg crate to separate them so they don't hurt eachother, but can still see eachother, then from there I would put a hole in it big enough for the clown knife, but not big enough for the giant gourami so the clown knife can get to cover should the giant gourami go after it. I have found giant gouramis to have mixed personalities, I've heard of ones killing large cichlids, and I've heard of ones that are very peaceful, I only kept one once and he was a gentle giant, got him at 18 inches, he grew to 26 inches before he died.
Egg crates will probably not be able to handle a 2ft GG. My GG is a 2 footer and can easily slide around 15lb rocks in it's tank.

Łøäçh_Łøvêŕ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2021
i want some advice
my gourami is aggressive as hell...
he also killed all tank mate and only get beaten by asian redtail once
i wanna get rid of my gourami aggression
any advice that i can do?
i cant buy a bigger tank because of covid
if no advice i probably return it to the local fish store....

Łøäçh_Łøvêŕ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2021
i heard someone said that gg is peaceful....
BUT NO...i think they should be classified as semi aggressive
and often justified as peaceful fish

Łøäçh_Łøvêŕ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2021
Here is my experience.
i currently keep a 10 inches clown knife and and 9 inches giant gourami
they does fight,but mostly clown knife win the fight bc the tank is dim lighted.
and if u wanna keep a clown knife with the gourmi
the clown knife must be slightly bigger than the gourami,if not the gourami would likely kill the clown knife.and i suggest to keep clown knife in a dim lighted aquarium,if light is too powerful the clown knife wont stand a chance to defend itself from the gourami's attack,and must provide a hiding spot like caves,plants or something else that the gourami can fit in,this would make them less aggressive.
as u can see,the clown knife must be slightly bigger,must provide a hiding spot for gourami, and big enought tank.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You can get the full range of behaviour with GG's, from docile right through to killers. You simply can't "label" them one way or the other. And the chances are you'll experience all levels at one time or another, but you can put some preventative measures in place beforehand to minimise that aggression coming out.

If your GG is introduced into the tank at a young age at the SAME TIME as it's tankmates, this can help. If it goes in first it may look on the tank as it's own and not tolerate any further additions down the line.

And tank size is very important too. Take a look how peaceful GG's are when they are in huge huge tanks, along with other fish. They are huge fish and don't want to be in cramped conditions along with other fish.

And even if you do introduce them as juveniles at the same time as their tankmates, and have them in a very large tank, it can still be a crapshoot with this fish.

My RTGG is with a load of other fish, in a 360, so not even a huge tank really. He went in there AFTER the other fish were added, so he was the newcomer, and that worked for me. He is really really well behaved, but he's only 6 years old so still young. He could turn into a brute at any time, who knows.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store