Will it be murder by Armatus?

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
Okay, I've grown my group of Armatus out and it's time to hit the "Big Tank". I currently have some well fed Armatus, a few of which are 7"-8" and a couple that are 10"-12" that will be in a 270g. tank. The perspective tank mates are Endlis and Delhezis that are 7"-11", a few endlis are in the 6" range and are a concern. These Armatus have never had tank mates other than eachother and goldfish/feeders and I wonder if they'll murder some of the Bichirs. I know Armatus tend to go after the "shiny" fish but still a little concerned. I'm considering taking out the smaller Bichirs as precaution. Any input from the gallery?

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
I would also consider the same thing if I was in that situation. Don't judge an armatus mouth, especially when its a skinny 6" endli we are talking about. I am sure the big guys will have no problem chowing on the smaller ones.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Keep us posted......

My money is on the bigger Armatus not enjoying the company of smaller ones.

I just reintroduced the runt from my group who is within 2 inches of the 3 bigger ones. On day 2 and it's not looking good. More then likely I will attempt to sell the runt, get frustrated with the stress of trying to make a deal, and give it away like I do most of my misfit fish. Ahhh the joy of this hobby.......

I wouldn't be to worried about the Polys though, not really ones to venture into Armatus territory (mid to upper water column)

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
Take them out for now, and once the armatus get use to the tank, put the smaller polys in and see how they act with each other, but watch for about an hour or two with out feeding them. Make sure to be on stand by just in case some one gets any ideas.

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Well, if I told you guys the tank that they were raised in I'd be crucified by the forum.... Let's just say that the most recent growout tank there were 8 in there without any issues. Very little aggression since they all grew up together from 2". As they grew I pulled out the smaller ones because they weren't competing for food. Not a torn fin.... honest.

BOTR

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
They should be fine. I never had any real issues with the Armatus / Poly combo. Saw a few times where the Armatus would head tward one, but never any contact.

Whatever you do, please ignore post #5. Any exp. monster keeper knows the dangers of introducing a smaller non aggresive fish into a tank full of settled in preds. The tank would become the Armatus territory, and re introducing the Polys would make them instant feeders. Leave the Polys in there and introduce the Armatus.

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
BOTR;3817762; said:
Whatever you do, please ignore post #5. Any exp. monster keeper knows the dangers of introducing a smaller non aggresive fish into a tank full of settled in preds. The tank would become the Armatus territory, and re introducing the Polys would make them instant feeders. Leave the Polys in there and introduce the Armatus.
:D I must have missed that post..... but that is the worst idea! Not only would that not apply to "monsters" but for literally any fish! Thanks B.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store