Will my fish work with a planted tank?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Large syno Notatus
2 bichirs
2 eels tire track and zip zag
Large AB acara - ik they have been known to dig but I have never seen it close to the bottom unless asleep or I'm going tank maintenance
IMAG0135.jpg IMAG0099.jpg IMAG0134.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It should as won’t eat ur plants. Keep in mind that bichirs and eels will bury themselves and unroot ur plants. Plus all the moving around.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Using root heavy plants and wood in a way to protect the plants is working with my polypterus. I densely planted the back of the tank and left an open area in front where I feed and everything

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Tricky question but with enough planning and thought how to keep plants down it might work, just try not to choose anything too delicate like carpeting plants and go with more robust plants with long roots or rhizome plants you can tie down to the wood...

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Maybe tie plants to a rock and bury them in the substrate... I really wanted a carpet but I guess that's out of question lol

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Maybe tie plants to a rock and bury them in the substrate... I really wanted a carpet but I guess that's out of question lol
I've seen guys do a carpet of crypt wendtii before. A lot hardier and easier to grow than some other plants. Might grow a little taller than what your looking for though.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Iv just always wanted a dense planted tank and I also want to make maintenance easier to where hopefully I just need to do water changes and the carpet will take care of any waste... But I also don't wanna get rid of the fish I listed

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Iv just always wanted a dense planted tank and I also want to make maintenance easier to where hopefully I just need to do water changes and the carpet will take care of any waste... But I also don't wanna get rid of the fish I listed
Given what your describing here what I personally would do is track down some potted plants. These will have more established roots already and will likely stay planted easier even with the fish disturbing them. For background plants I would be considering swords, crinums, crypt balansae and aponogetons. For the foreground crypt wendtii. You can always work in more anubias and java fern tied to rocks. Anubias that is planted with the rizome exposed can also be grown as a foreground plant.

Last edited:
Reactions: xDestro
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store