Will my floor support a 300 gallon tank????

Oooops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Dundee, Oregon
2x12 at 16" joists spanning 14' with a 1" plywood sub. Will it support a 96"L x 24"W x 31"H tank????

I have an opportunity to purchase a 300 gallon tank with a filter system that looks brand new for $1k. I was thinking of a 125 gallon tank but, I would love to have a 300 gallon tank especially since it is such a reasonable price. I worry about the weight on my 2nd story floor. I have a 3 story house. I want to use it as a room divider but, 8' x 4' = 16 sqft with probably near 3500 lbs of weight it roughly 219lbs a sqft of weight. I have a finished space below and will have no money to start a remodel and add support if i buy the tank. Will the floor support this much weight? How about locating the tank near a wall where the joists sit on concrete foundation and then extend out 14' before it sits on another support beam?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Wannabe MFK

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
here is an excellent article on the subject to consider:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

I would not do it. even though the tank may not 'fall through the floor" you do risk doing some long term damage to the structural integrity of your floors with a tank that big and heavy..

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I have my 300 gallon tank sitting on the second floor without a problem. 2x12 on 16" centers is good, solid construction. It will hold the weight easily, especially if it is near the edge of the span as you describe.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Only if you put it up against a load bearing wall. Do your research though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store