Will my floor support a 300 gallon tank????

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
just dont do it.................dont

tylerperkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
wi
every person get on posts like this and says oh no its gonna fall through the floor dont do it

get some links to this happening and then tell people not too

a lot of mfkers have 125's or larger with no problems

aquariums have been around a lot longer than quality construction with no downfalls

fcamargo6thave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Jersey City NJ
wow never realized that the weight can be such a problem to the floor. I guess its alot of stress. One of my freinds has a 350 gal tank which has not given him problems. We set it up 3 months ago without thinking about this LOL hopefully the floor holds

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
tylerperkins;2402031; said:
every person get on posts like this and says oh no its gonna fall through the floor dont do it

aquariums have been around a lot longer than quality construction with no downfalls
Was this pun, intended? :D:D:D

tankboy_taylor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2008
Southern,NH
Id go for it just stay close to a load bearing and perpendicular to joists add some blocking in between joists if vertical supports are not an option

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
tylerperkins;2402031; said:

true, but there is a significant difference between a 125 and a 300 in terms of weight..

a lot of the problem is that normal residential flooring was obviously not designed to handle literally thousands of pounds of weight (in the case of a 300 gallon) in one relatively small area for a period of years and years.

at least without re-enforcement, and I think that is the key issue here.

beef up the flooring before putting a tank that size on there.

don't just stick it on there and hope that it wont cause long term damage to the floor...because it may over time.

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Potts050;2403682; said:
You need to consult with a structural engineer (or at least an architect) who is familiar with the design and construction of your house before you consider moving forward.

Good God man! This is your house we're talking about!
Exactly. I reinforced my floor just so I'll sleep better at night. I also thought about kids playing on the floor and causing the floor to bounce. My floor near the tank won't budge now.

It's better to be safe than sorry!!

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
bud8fan good move on the supports, all those holes the electricians cut to run there wiring remove strength from your joists.

everyone should stop the discussion, read the article that the link was to in the very beginning of this thread, come back to the table and then have an intelligent conversation about structural integrity. thats really all there is to it. if you put a 3 ton aquarium on a floor that you havent reinforced, or had atleast inspected by a professional then you really should have your head inspected. you may not have a problem now, or in the near future, but the damage you do to the floor doesnt just go away, it compounds over time, maybe the next owner sticks a piano there and has it fall on there head when there in the room below it and dies. all because you didnt research before you put your aquarium up.

lilsuper2335

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
albuquerque nm.
i suppose theres only one way to find out if it will hold it...put it in the room and fill the tank with water and prey...haha...you would have to know what the floor is like...what size stock they used and if your above any sub frame that would help your cause too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store