will this grow back?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ermgravy;1073960; said:
dude, the rear is gona grow back im like 95% confident on that... sorry but lots of people who most simply dont have the relivant knowledge to anwser peoples questions and its so frustrating, if you dont know, dont post! and sorry but just cos ur friends didnt grow back anit necessary the norm, he might have done sumint wrong or not done sumint....

DrZacharyus: i'm on it.... thanks for the advise!
Speaking to the choir on the above man, quite irritating is'nt it....

There is a chance the pectoral fins will come back but they in pretty rough shape. I'm not sure there is much chance of them growing back normally. Caudal / dorsal...100% normal re-growth no problem.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Polypterus;1074184; said:

There is a chance the pectoral fins will come back but they in pretty rough shape. I'm not sure there is much chance of them growing back normally. Caudal / dorsal...100% normal re-growth no problem.
definitely agree with richard on this, and also agree about the pectoral fins...for some reason, they are generally slow to regenerate, and if damaged too much (like in this case) they often don't grow back the same way, or don't grow back at all. i've kept a few gars that came in with this problem and never healed the same, or had them damaged and they didn't heal properly either.

with very young gars, it seems like these fins will regenerate a bit better (again, depending on the extent of the damage), than when it happens with late-stage juveniles/adults. good luck either way, at least the fish is away from turtles (gars & turtles is a horrible combination)--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
skylar69;1074326; said:
if thy heal realy ruff and misshapened cant u fix the fins by cutting in between the rays and realighning them?
not really, not with these fishes...their ray/skeletal supports are different in morphology from more derived perciforms and other fishes where the clipping method is used.--
--solomon

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
Polypterus;1074184; said:
sorry not sure i quite understand what you mean poly?

but thanks guys! i will give him every attention to have the best chance of recovering!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ermgravy;1074427; said:
sorry not sure i quite understand what you mean poly?

but thanks guys! i will give him every attention to have the best chance of recovering!
That was a statement directly related to this written by yourself:
sorry but lots of people who most simply dont have the relivant knowledge to anwser peoples questions and its so frustrating, if you dont know, dont post!
Anyhow I think your fish is going to be just fine.
Good luck

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
i reckon will grow back,have had some pretty nasty chewed up fins grow back over time but not always exactly the same as before! by that i mean they might be a little mishapen but nothing to worry about,just keep on with feeding and water changes and he will be fine,good luck:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store