Will this work?

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
well i have been thinking and the idea of a congo biotope is growing on me I already have
2 x del
1 x leopard ctenopoma
I was thinking about adding
5-8 x Steatocranus casuarius (block head cichlid)
2-3 x african butterfly fish
But...I still want archers sooo I have a 125g with two oscars a jack demsey a 13" common plec and a spotted pictus cat
if I got rid of the plec and cat would it work?
2 x Oscar
1 x Jack demsey
3 x Burmese archers
Let me know

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Steatocranus are a rheophillic genus, they need fast moving, highly oxygenated, strong current water, and in many cases are prone to disease if that habitat is not provided. A strong powerhead in the tank would provide this. Congo tetras would be good tank mates, if the power head was directed toward the lower regions of the tank, allowing a more relaxed flow in the mid and upper regions where th Congos reside
The Pantodon, and Ctenopma, prefer low, to no current. Simple HOB filters, and maybe an airstone are fine, a powerhead in their tank might cause stress and lead to health issues.
The rest of the fish you mention are less picky, although I tend not to mix old world and new world fish.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
duanes duanes Ok so what fish do you suggest I drop? and is the 125g overstocked?
Your current 125g stocking will require at least 2 very large fin level water changes a week once the oscars get to 10". If you can't do that minimum, then yes your 125g is overstocked. This doesn't include any aggression the fish may show once they mature.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Imo, that is overstocked. Drop the Oscars. Congo Tetras like flow, like duanes said. If you want a flowing tank, simpling place a HOB on the side, or powerhead. If I were you, I would make a solely Congo River Basin.

2 dels
4 Leopard Ctenopama
a pair of Bullhead Cichlids
2 Lamprologus congoensis
6 African Butterfly Fish
12 Congo Tetras

I like this stock a lot. Congo Tetras are actually quite fun. They get super colorful, and their fins grow long and flowing over their back. When mine are super hungry, they will eat out of my hands.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Imo, that is overstocked. Drop the Oscars. Congo Tetras like flow, like duanes said. If you want a flowing tank, simpling place a HOB on the side, or powerhead. If I were you, I would make a solely Congo River Basin.

2 dels
4 Leopard Ctenopama
a pair of Bullhead Cichlids
2 Lamprologus congoensis
6 African Butterfly Fish
12 Congo Tetras

I like this stock a lot. Congo Tetras are actually quite fun. They get super colorful, and their fins grow long and flowing over their back. When mine are super hungry, they will eat out of my hands.
bullhead cichlids? Also don't bichir and ctenopama come from stagnant low flow areas?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Bichirs do. But a powerhead in the middle is fine.

edit: Sorry, I put bullhead cichlids twice.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow Im not dropping the oscars I already have them. So its official im going congo biotope in the 75g (hopfully that makes duanes duanes happy lol) and selling the plec and pictus in the 125g and prob just keeping the three cichlids in the 125g
So 75g stock
2x del
3x ABF (Butterfly not Bush)
3x african brown knife
1x leopard Ctenopoma
2-3x ctenopoma ansorgii (not sure if they will get eaten)
maybe 6-8 congo tetra
And maybe a spiny eel although not sure if their are any from the congo basin
I tried to stick to low flow fish I might add a power head just to keep things circulating but I dont have any one hand since I threw mine out after It shocked me... Twice
let me know

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store