Wimple Piranhas

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Fins and scales. In the wild I can see how it's possible, and the victim fish will swim away and may or may not heal. Doing this in an aquarium would probably be a bad idea though as they can't really get away. Just like any other species tho there diet can be supplemented artificially. A live food alternative pellet, such as the large floating cichlid pellets that say "live food alternative" should do them just fine I would think since its formulated for any carnivore including piranhas. Getting a wimple to initially eat that tho could be a challenge because as far as I know all wimples are wild caught and not accustomed to artificial foods

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
First off: C. Mento is a fin- and scale-biter. So unless yoy can offer a pretty huge, densely decorated, tank, I would suggest you settle for only one (1) specimen.

Secondly. Phylogenetically they are in the same clade as the true piranhas. Genetic research also seem to suggest that they are pretty closely related to P. nattereri, in fact, closer than the serrasalmus- species.

Old thread,

Got 4 in a 55, pretty happy... little chimple on the biggest one...

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
I love wimples...I had 3 of them back in the late 90s. saw them at an LFS (3) 3inches in a 10 gallon labelled very rare tetras:). took them home and put them in a 60g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store