Wolf cichlid gender clarification?

Zaythefishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2021
Just ordered from imperialtropics.com having trouble identifying my wolf cichlid as female or male the spots are making me lean toward male but the rounded top and bottom dorsal fin have me saying female just need a little help pls.C7DD0A9D-4C67-40B5-A24B-807B15F93CA1.jpeg7B88209E-EE47-4EB6-B799-69580CE0DF8D.jpegEE9C8444-BB62-4A69-94F0-4E2011F94F20.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Spotting leads me to believe male. Don't pay attention to the fins. There have been females with pointed fins.

duanes duanes

Reactions: Zaythefishkeeper

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Spotting leads me to believe male. Don't pay attention to the fins. There have been females with pointed fins.

duanes duanes
Leaning toward male too, but its been a long time since I've kept dovii (my gender ID qualifications get iffy as time passes).
Below a male (right side) and female from over 10 yrs ago.
1630498825383.png(

Reactions: Zaythefishkeeper

Zaythefishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2021

duanes duanes
Ok thankyou Rocksor because I have seen some females with pointy Fins I’m hoping male if female then it won’t get to much bigger and never will be the alpha in my tank because my spotted face pike and Red Devils are just to big if it stays that size a male will for sure run my tank

Zaythefishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2021
Leaning toward male too, but its been a long time since I've kept dovii (my gender ID qualifications get iffy as time passes).
Below a male (right side) and female from over 10 yrs ago.
View attachment 1471750(
Thank you for the picture and the help I’m leaning male to I hope it is this is my first time owning this cichlid I’d rather go for the sheer aggression of the males then the look of the female it will need it to survive in my tank but what fish do u keep now

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thank you for the picture and the help I’m leaning male to I hope it is this is my first time owning this cichlid I’d rather go for the sheer aggression of the males then the look of the female it will need it to survive in my tank but what fish do u keep now
I consider the size of tank as the most important factor in reducing aggression.
Way back then, I decided my tanks were not of a sufficient size for dovii.
I believe a 500 gal seems minimal to keep more than 1 adult dovii with other cichlids..
I moved to Panama a few years back, and plan now to keep only Panamanian cichlids.
At the moment my largest tank is only 180 gallons, so the Panamanian cichlid Andinoacara coerleopunctatus is about right for that size tank.
That said.....a fisherman supplied me with about a dozen wild caught individuals for the tank at the time.
Even in that size tank, the alpha male (7")whittled the group down to himself, and 3 four inch female Andinoacara, and some non-cichlid dithers.
1AC65D79-9376-40AA-BBFC-6C42827C5D7C_1_201_a.jpeg
The alpha male above
One of his females below, and a dither.
461DA23B-4298-401B-98B5-5F576043702E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
That is a male. Spotting in the unpaired fins, and above the lateral line is a sure sign. The tank however is going to have serious territory issues sooner rather than later. Dovii will just decide at some point that no one else gets to lives in their space. Also I have kept five star generals in the past and they are very territorial, not to mention they are African cichlids. And then there's the other species in the tank. I'm surprised you've made it this long. Not trying to be rude here, but I've learned over the years that most of these aggressive cichlids command a space large enough in the wild that we simply cannot reproduce that in normal tanks. As such I only keep mine singly, or in mated pairs, and even then I have to take steps to protect the females at times.

Zaythefishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2021
That tank is a ticking time bomb........
I would understand why u would say that but I have been running this setup for about a year now all fish bought at about 1-2 inches and have been doing perfectly fine I’m still waiting for my Red Devils to hit maturity and I know once they do that the crazy switch will flip on the new wolf cichlid is the only new addition that is going to play a big role in that to ticking time bomb u we’re talking about my Oscar is a big softy and had pop eye when younger so only has one eye not to much bomb In him and I feel that none of my fish in my tank will be able to turn killer on me until they pass my spotted face pike (crenichicula lenticulada) in size and they have some time befor that hopefully I can upgrade tank sizes by then image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store