Wolf fish personable?

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hello, I have a 40 gallon breeder and I would like to get a red wolf fish. Do you find them to be personable? I see YouTube videos of them at the front of the tank a lot but then I hear that they are about as active as a rock unless it’s feeding time. Tell me your opinions

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hello, I have a 40 gallon breeder and I would like to get a red wolf fish. Do you find them to be personable? I see YouTube videos of them at the front of the tank a lot but then I hear that they are about as active as a rock unless it’s feeding time. Tell me your opinions
Well they are aggressive and once acclimated to you and the tank it should be out and about. But they are ambush predators and can also hide alot. Lots of plants and wood will make it feel more comfortable. It's sounds counter intuitive but more cover usually = out and about more. Every fish is an individual and you'll get a million responces. I have not owned one yet. I do plan on it and I've had tons of fish with the same overall habits.

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
I know what you mean, a lot of people say oscars are like water puppies but I had one that wasn’t very social. He would come up whenever I walked by for food but whenever I fed him he would go back to his spot whereas my blue acara(not electric blue) is super personable ad jumps out of the water for food and stares at me from across the room

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My old reds weren’t personable. I wouldn’t dare put my fingers in the tank. Would and have done it with friends oscars and won’t go at my fingers. But if u don’t overfeed then it’ll be active up at the tank. Wouldn’t add any other fish with it.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
No experience with wolf fish, I own a flowerhorn that's very personable though. My friend believes he recognizes me as shows more activeness when I go close to the tank than her.

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
I didn’t plan on having anything else. It it possible to have some sort of cat in there just as a clean up though. Would the frozen beefheart be a good food to feed with occasional worms.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I didn’t plan on having anything else. It it possible to have some sort of cat in there just as a clean up though. Would the frozen beefheart be a good food to feed with occasional worms.
Maybe a pim blochii that’s large and as long as the wolf is small then probably get away with it. Keep the bottom area a bit open for the catfish. I’d stick with a main pellet. Wouldn’t use beef heart. Earthworms are fine.

Reactions: DMD123

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
Should I feed cut up tilapia and/or cut up jumbo gulf shrimp? Sorry I can’t find much online.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should I feed cut up tilapia and/or cut up jumbo gulf shrimp? Sorry I can’t find much online.
A mix of chopped fish and shrimp are fine. It’ll accept most foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store