Working for Petco.......

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Ima good sales person, I would sell the fishes no matter what! Just disclose that these fishes may chase each other around but its FUN. This is where you sell a decor Castle or Cave, this way the other smaller fishes can run and PLAY. Its FUN at the FUN Pet Store. Sell them food as well, suggest HIGHER ones, then watch their reactions, slowly move cheaper until they smile then Voila!

Pandamania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Planetwithlotsofwater
The PetSmart in Sheboygan, WI, is very good about asking what other fish you've got and size of tanks, etc. Most of their employees use the scientific names when talking about the stock. The tanks are marked with both types of names, and the estimated adult size of the fish, and also if the fish is aggressive or community type. If the employee 'on duty' at the time can't answer a customers question, they offer to have a more knowledgeable employee to call you at home and/or tell you when that employee will be at work again. Very good people at that store.:)

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
The PetSmart in Sheboygan, WI, is very good about asking what other fish you've got and size of tanks, etc. Most of their employees use the scientific names when talking about the stock. The tanks are marked with both types of names, and the estimated adult size of the fish, and also if the fish is aggressive or community type. If the employee 'on duty' at the time can't answer a customers question, they offer to have a more knowledgeable employee to call you at home and/or tell you when that employee will be at work again. Very good people at that store.:)
Wow...never heard of a store that good. My LPS treats their fish poorly here in Beloit, WI.. they don't know any scientific names..use gravel in a feeder guppy tank and the gravel is filled with crap and debris..feed one of their remora sharks (a marine fish) dead, sick, and feeder goldfish..overcharge for their fish for the most part (IE: 3-4 inch oscars for $18-$22)..and I could go on and on about how bad the store is but its the only LFS/LPS near me so I don't have a choice to go somewhere else really.

TheJadeOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2011
Bauxite, AR
I'll be honest. I have always wanted to work in the Petco close to me. The Pet Manager wanted me to work, because of my knowledge for animals. But I don't think the Store Manager likes me much. :p

All the local Pet and Fish stores know to leave me and my mother alone. Petco and Petsmart included. We spend so much time in there, it scares some people. Every time I see a dead fish I complain. I always try to research before I get any fish. I go into the Pet/fish store. I go to get a fish, and they try to offer me something else (usually higher in price). I always say "No thank you. I still want this." or "The forum I am on recommend this." or "I researched what can go in MY tank. This fish seemed the best option."

P.S. If anything, Walmart is the worst place to sell/buy fish.

POOLBOY

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
ILLINOIS
Wow...never heard of a store that good. My LPS treats their fish poorly here in Beloit, WI.. they don't know any scientific names..use gravel in a feeder guppy tank and the gravel is filled with crap and debris..feed one of their remora sharks (a marine fish) dead, sick, and feeder goldfish..overcharge for their fish for the most part (IE: 3-4 inch oscars for $18-$22)..and I could go on and on about how bad the store is but its the only LFS/LPS near me so I don't have a choice to go somewhere else really.
you must be talking about J & S huh?? went in there yesterday, oh boy...what a mess, that guy used to be real good too, years ago....must be losing the desire...

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
you must be talking about J & S huh?? went in there yesterday, oh boy...what a mess, that guy used to be real good too, years ago....must be losing the desire...
Yup, thats the one. I saw a guy bringing in a 5" electric blue ahli about a month ago, and I couldn't catch him in time cuz we were in the car ready to leave J&S, and so we got out & walked in the store and I asked the guy if he was getting rid of it, he said "yes" and so I asked him how much and if I could buy it, and he let me. Jim (the owner) was away when this guy was at the counter going to get rid of it. Jim's employee even said, "go ahead, buy it" and so I did. Later that day, I went back and he asked me if I bought it, I admitted to it cuz I figured he knew it was me or one of his other employees would tell him who bought it and then I would be known as a liar and he would be mad at me even more. So, I got yelled at and he told me to never do that again. I know why he was so mad (because he lost $10 and the guy was in HIS STORE)...but I'm always in there buying sh!% and his employee told me I could, so wtf...he could of said it more politely, I didn't think it would get me in trouble doing it. SMH

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Damn that sucks. We all agree with your honesty though. Go work in a nice LFS!

I work in an LFS on weekends and we are supposed to be honest to people so that they come back. For instance: Today I had a $500 sale with tons of reef fish for this guy's 144g tank. He wanted to know how many bluespotted jawfish he could have in 1 tank and I said 3 would be a pretty safe bet. Later my manager told him it would be better to start with 2, which knocked $100 off the sale. The total opposite of Petco!

And if we see any sick fish (with ich in particular) we're not supposed to sell them to ANYONE.

AllTheseKids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2011
Durham, NC
Oh Big Chain Stores... Each store is different. I've taught my employees at My Big Chain Store to be almost fanatical about tank sizes and compatibility. Customers get so pissed off when we refuse a sale due to too small a tank or incompatible tank mates. I've worked at different stores and its always a different story, just depends on the management.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store