worried about my festae.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
-He is approx 4-4.5"
-Got him as a young fry, march 21 (he was maybe .5-.75")
-Tank is a 90g, fx6, kept at 79-80
-No tank mates
-Less than 10ppm nitrates, no ammo or nitrites
-Staple has been NLS 1mm pellet but he gets a varied diet

My concern is that when I do my weekly gravel vacs I see some white/clear-ish poops. majority of the poop is normal red/orange color all through the gravel but I do find the odd clear ones.

On Monday I saw him poop one of the clear-ish one and I put it under my microscope and saw no eggs or no living things in there. Just watch looked to be some of the freeze dried blood worms i had fed.

Do i need to just not worry about the odd poop that is not normal? this fish doesn't show any other signs of illness at all. no flashing, no body marks, no heavy breathing or hiding. he is super interactive and eats very well everyday. he constantly begs. colors are a bit dull but since he is young I don't think they have come in yet.

I am going to try feeding peas for a bit and see how that goes.

any advice or comments would be appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would just monitor esp if it’s acting normal. Can have clear poop in between feedings. If it stops eating or belly swells up then intervention is needed.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Uncooked peas offer little in the way of nutrition to a fish, mostly just a boost in fiber, and an assortment of anti-nutritional matter. As a side note, I would reduce tank temp by at least a couple of degrees.

Reactions: philipraposo1982

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I can bring it down to 77 and see how that works out.

As far as the peas I was gong to do that or Epson salt as I am thinking maybe it's constipation.
That’s what I would do too.
The only times I’ve seen white/clear poo and there hasn’t been anything under the microscope it’s due to stress or constipation. Since your guy doesn’t sound stress I’d say constipation.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If as you say, the majority of the poop is normal red/orange color, then outside of slightly tweaking the temp I would do nothing.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
How much are you feeding the fish? You are not power feeding are you?

Stop feeding the freeze dried food and see if the clear poo goes away.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
How much are you feeding the fish? You are not power feeding are you?

Stop feeding the freeze dried food and see if the clear poo goes away.

I fear that I have been power feeding a little too aggressively... I think I tend to overfeed without really knowing it. It's probably due to my lack of experience with monster fish.

I gave him some peas over the weekend, reduced temp a few degrees down to 78, large water change as usual and going to fast him for today.

I will resume normal feeding tomorrow but adjust the amount I feed to ensure I am not going to overfeed. Also no more freeze dried bloodworm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store