Worried. GSP abnormal behavior

spooked25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
azusa
After using the search bar to no avail. I have decided to post, hoping someone could shine some light before the worst happens. I have had my little GSP for a while. Lets say 3 weeks now. He/she is very active but shy. Flash forward to 3 days ago. He was slowly starting to become less active. Today is worse, he is like a log. Just sleeps at the bottom of the tank or on top of whatever. I have had some other GSP's in past. So I kinda of have an idea of what they need. My tank is a 60gal Fluval substrate, generously planted with swords, creeps, tiger louts, foxtails, onion, you get the picture. My filtration is a 120gal canister filter(i clean every 1 mo with new charcoal), another Fluval EBI 15gal filter i use more for flow than cleaning, 200w heater set at a steady 80deg. My tank parameters are as follows, H/ph 7.6, NO2 0ppm, NH3/NH4 0ppm, NO3 80ppm sg. 1.010. I recently changed the water. Did about a 20%water change yesterday to be exact. And those measurements were taken after the waterchange. The other GSP is a 6-7" and he is doing just fine. When the lights are OFF. But i am worried about the littler one. he's about 3-4 inches long. I have been searching all of yahoo.com and google.com have to offer. But most of that stuff is all repeat. I hope someone can help soon. I would hate to loose this little guy.

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
It might be sulking due to the disturbance during the water change or just stressed from being picked on by the other gsp.

Have you noticed any problems between the two?

BTW, how long have those plants been in that sg? Also the fluval susbtrate would that be stratum?

spooked25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
azusa
I am using the Stratum... Is that bad ? The plants have been in there since day 1(7mo ago). Is this SG too high ? They don't really fight or bicker. There is enough tank space for them to move around and hide from one another. For the most part they follow each other. I am hoping your right about the water change thing. I do 25%(ISH) Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. This is the first time he is doing this. Do you think it's my Nirate or No3 ? I was told it should be 40ppm ?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Nitrate should always be <20. I'm surprised those plants are surviving that SG. I'd think a 7" adult GSP would be in a much higher SG. That's really large, do you have a pic?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
It might be sulking due to the disturbance during the water change
If WC are done regurlarly (weekly), there is no cause for stress.

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
If WC are done regurlarly (weekly), there is no cause for stress.

agreed but since the water is made, being inconsistent or if tap is used anything from the tap could alter the params and could cause the stress.
Also I would think the substrate would alter params quite a bit too since it is a peat/clay based substrate. To have saltwater made with high params and then filled into a tank with substrate meant to alter params would cause inconsistencies before stabilizing back to the norm. This one instance could have been slightly off causing a more dramatic flucutation.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Again--if WC are done regularly, it should already be similar to tap water. Obviously, the BW made should be consistent in SG, pH & temp. That's a given when doing WC.

Substrate of aragonite sand is recommended, to keep the pH/hardness high & steady. A planted tank is not going to do for the application of keeping high-end BW animals.

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Tap water is inconsistent, it all depends on the water company and seeing as though the seasons are changing the water company also adjust accordingly.

I'm not gifted with telepathic abilities but the OP only states water params after the water change, not before nor any readings of the water used for waterchanges.

Also from my experience of clay/peat based substrates the water params are greatly altered in some cases in comparison to that of most tapwater and even RO/DI.

In a perfect world where all outcomes are in a controlled environment it would safe to "assume".

Puffer puffer pass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2012
Fort Collins
This might be an odd guess but do you have any sort of real driftwood in the tank? I have noticed that as soon as you add salt water with driftwood it starts to break apart... I could have gotten a bad piece I just haven't tried it since because it started to fluctuate my nitrate nitrite and all of the others quite severely

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store