Yet another "Stingray not eating" question

Chasintail

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2011
south central Pennsylvania
I'll preface by saying that I'm not completely new to rays. I had a hystrix that lived about 12 years until he passed this last Friday, no problems during that time whatsoever, until the final days. Fresh water change, cleaned filter, and on Sunday I brought home a male marble motoro that is about 11". Acclimated and moved to my tank. Ammonia spiked, I changed out water, got everything good. He wouldn't eat. I had sand in the aquarium, and with having him never having been on sand, I changed it out. He honestly hasn't had much time to settle until today, with the water changes and sand removal. I've tested him with pieces of cut shrimp which is what I had been told he had been eating. I did not see him eat while in with his other tankmates, however he did poo on the way home, and in the tank when I moved him, evidence that he HAD been eating. I have tried smaller earthworms, but there is no interest. Would you as a group believe there may be a problem, or is he needing more time to acclimate?
Water parameters are withing range, temp 78.

I appreciate your input.

Reactions: Muserudita

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022
What's the update? Any success?

I'm by no means an expert but I got my BD nearly a week a go and it wasn't eating the first few days.

I found keeping the lights off for a few days helped with settling him in and I tried lots of different foods cut up into bit size pieces and would feed small amounts ( 1 or two chopped up pieces) and he would eat, I found when I had more food in there he would just glide over.

Let us know how you get on

Chasintail

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2011
Nothing yet. I drop the food in so that it washes over against him. He often lifts up and sits on it, sometimes appearing like he is eating, then moves away and the food is left to float. I am getting prazi to have if needed in a few days, perhaps the stress of moving may have let a parasite gain a foothold? Though doubtful, its possible. When its dark he sits pretty still in the aquarium. When there is ambient daylight he moves around as what appears normal. I've tried feeding at night and first thing in the morning when its still fairly dark and he shows less interest than when he is cruising around. I want to try blackworms but apparently there must be some kind of blackworm shortage in the world right now. So far I have tried cut shrimp, carnivore pellets, nightcrawlers whole and cut up.

Reactions: Caveden

Badazzx22

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
Norcal
Not a expert but I've changed up the temp on my aquarium to 80 and they started eatin maybe give that a shot

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022
Nothing yet. I drop the food in so that it washes over against him. He often lifts up and sits on it, sometimes appearing like he is eating, then moves away and the food is left to float. I am getting prazi to have if needed in a few days, perhaps the stress of moving may have let a parasite gain a foothold? Though doubtful, its possible. When its dark he sits pretty still in the aquarium. When there is ambient daylight he moves around as what appears normal. I've tried feeding at night and first thing in the morning when its still fairly dark and he shows less interest than when he is cruising around. I want to try blackworms but apparently there must be some kind of blackworm shortage in the world right now. So far I have tried cut shrimp, carnivore pellets, nightcrawlers whole and cut up.
Keep going mate, I know how stressful it can be just having gone through it. Keep us updated

Does anyone have a general rule for amount a healthy ray should consume each meal?

Chasintail

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2011
Waiting on new heaters tomorrow to raise temp. My 12 year old heaters are at 78 and so old that the knobs won't turn.
I did a 25 percent water change last evening and lowered the water level to increase splash aeration from the return from the pump. He is surfing that stream almost continuously now. So he is quite active.

PH 7 - 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 - 20

Reactions: Muserudita

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I keep my rays at 82. They seem to do much better there.

Dose with prazi and offer earthworms.

I have never had clean and warm water, dark space and earthworms fail when treating with prazi

Reactions: Chasintail

Chasintail

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2011
I had noticed yesterday when he started swimming more that he was doing "odd" things with his mouth. Reading on this forum and others leads me to believe that may be flukes. I'll hit the tank with Prazi tomorrow when it arrives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store