Your favorite cyprinids

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Appearance wise, those orfes really remind me of red fin cigar sharks. I dare say they could probably pass for cigar sharks if they weren't so slow moving.

Reactions: Milingu

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I'd like to update this thread with a fairly new addition to the list of my favorite cyprinids: the Odessa barb. Looooooove the bright colors on the males - especially that thick red stripe - and I drool at the thought of picking my first Odessas up in the next few months.

View attachment 1495073

Were these monster sized, I'd bet all my tanks that they'd outdo every other species in this thread for overall popularity on this website.
Picked my first ones up a little while ago. Pea sized babies, growing out in my 110 liter.

They're pretty fragile at this size, so only 5 out of 20ish have made it. I intend to get a few slightly larger ones, and add updates to this thread when they grow up to look like the above pic.
1659802854876.png

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like Odessas, have about a dozen in my 360gallon cool tank...that's "cool" as in temperature. It is 70+F in the summer but is allowed to drop down below 60 in the winter. The Odessas do well in that range...but the males only get their breeding colours when it's warm. Both sexes show some red all year, but it's nothing like the vibrant red displayed during breeding season.

I toyed with putting them outside for the summer...but that means I would never see them in full dress regalia. They spawn occasionally in the display tank; I know this only because I happened to witness it a couple times, as few eggs last more than a few minutes, and certainly none survive to hatch.

They're a few years old now, close to three inches, and I lost one mysteriously a month or two back...old age, maybe? Whatever, once these fade away I won't be getting them again. If they are approaching the end of their natural life span I might put them outside next summer as a sort of farewell/retirement vacation.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I love any fish designed to fight current. Especially so the "hillstream" loaches and similar fish.
Having said that, A nice danio or devario is always hard to beat.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I love all of the predatory cyprinids - there's something about them that just fascinates me.
This fascination started with the fish that gave my account its name - The European chub (Squalius Cephalus)
But I also love Elopichthys, Pikeminnows.. The list goes on.
The most beautiful fish in my opinion is Luciocyprinus Striolatus

Also, straying away from predatory species, I have to stick up for the humble European carp - I understand why they're not popular in the US, but they're amazingly personable fish and they can look great! Lovely fish to fish for or keep in a pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store