Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
LOL. That sounds about right.

You may know of species I don't, but from what I've heard, I personally don't trust any cichlid that I know of to be a community fish. The only ones who aren't the ususal aggressive a**holes who will eat/bully innocent community fish are too timid, sensitive, and fussy to do well in my tanks (eg: how can discus be expected to get even 1 pellet or bloodworm when there is a pictus catfish?).

As for the thread topic, I suppose kribs could be an alternative to emperor cichlids.
Discus and angelfish are cichlids!
Many small South American cichlids like rams and apistos tend to make great community fish. Many of the medium sized souths and centrals are also not as bad as their reputation suggests given a proper setup.
But the big bruisers and mbunas…yeah they’re psychotic in most tanks, at least when put with community fish.
Emperor cichlids behave more like the hap cichlids of the rift lakes to my knowledge, kribs and the African riverine are more like ca/sa cichlids. It’s hard to compare kribs to much, as they look so different, but if anything they really are just mini amantitlania cichlids to me. Very much the same as far as their potential for aggression goes. Peaceful until there is fry involved.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Discus and angelfish are cichlids!
Many small South American cichlids like rams and apistos tend to make great community fish. Many of the medium sized souths and centrals are also not as bad as their reputation suggests given a proper setup.
But the big bruisers and mbunas…yeah they’re psychotic in most tanks, at least when put with community fish.
Emperor cichlids behave more like the hap cichlids of the rift lakes to my knowledge, kribs and the African riverine are more like ca/sa cichlids. It’s hard to compare kribs to much, as they look so different, but if anything they really are just mini amantitlania cichlids to me. Very much the same as far as their potential for aggression goes. Peaceful until there is fry involved.
Yup! Angelfish are too nasty for a general community whenever they spawn (which is basically 24/7/365), while discus are too timid and fussy with their diet, plus pretty sensitive too.

Don't rams and cockatoo cichlids fall more under a similar category to discus? That is, too sensitive and fussy for a general community.

That's one category you may know of species I don't in. All the South/Central cichlids I have heard of (eartheater, convict, red devil, jaguar, wolf, green terror, oscar, rams, discus, etc) seem to fall on one end of that range, not really in the middle (and for many it's b/c of the all too common spawns).

That I can agree on. 100 percent.

With convicts, kribs, and similar, there will be eggs and/or fry involved the vast majority of the time no? That has a pretty big impact from what I hear.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yup! Angelfish are too nasty for a general community whenever they spawn (which is basically 24/7/365), while discus are too timid and fussy with their diet, plus pretty sensitive too.

Don't rams and cockatoo cichlids fall more under a similar category to discus? That is, too sensitive and fussy for a general community.

That's one category you may know of species I don't in. All the South/Central cichlids I have heard of (eartheater, convict, red devil, jaguar, wolf, green terror, oscar, rams, discus, etc) seem to fall on one end of that range, not really in the middle (and for many it's b/c of the all too common spawns).

That I can agree on. 100 percent.

With convicts, kribs, and similar, there will be eggs and/or fry involved the vast majority of the time no? That has a pretty big impact from what I hear.
If kept solo, there won’t be babies. Sometimes eggs if a female.
Rams and apistos are fussy about water parameters (not Bolivian rams), but when in proper setups are very easy and very peaceful. Most of the dwarf cichlids like dwarf acaras are very calm, even when breeding.
Generally, SA cichlids are less aggressive than CAs (with notable exceptions: P Bass, Festae, GT). Most aren’t as bad. Oscars are hit or miss, while cichlids like blue acaras, chocolates, and severums are not very mean at all. Geos tend to be hit or miss based on species.
Most CAs are meaner. Some nicer ones are rainbow cichlids and nanolutae. Many mid tier (range from relatively peaceful to very mean) are Jack Dempsey, Central American acaras, convicts, Vieja, and heryicthys, to name a few.
Generally these are the meanest:
SA: P bass, some oscars, festae, green terror
CA: Any parachromis (dovii, jag, etc), amphilophus cichlids, black nasty/Haitian cichlids, Cuban cichlids, some viejas, Trimac, and the cocktail known as the flowerhorn
African: Jewel, mbuna, Butties
Of course, all of this is influenced by tank size and tankmates.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Fair enough. Influence of tank size and tank mates notwithstanding, what you said seems to make sense (save for the part about the angelfish kept singly, I thought they were supposed to be kept in groups? Were that the case, spawning aggression would be almost unavoidable). Thank you for that information.

To keep the thread on topic: rainbow snakeheads for giant snakeheads. You'd think this one would be more popular among snakehead keepers.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fair enough. Influence of tank size and tank mates notwithstanding, what you said seems to make sense (save for the part about the angelfish kept singly, I thought they were supposed to be kept in groups? Were that the case, spawning aggression would be almost unavoidable). Thank you for that information.

To keep the thread on topic: rainbow snakeheads for giant snakeheads. You'd think this one would be more popular among snakehead keepers.
America…no snakes…
Some cichlids like groups, angels, discus, and geos are such.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
these look cool

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How do bettas look like Asian arowana? I’m confused lol

someone also mentioned African butterfly fish to arowanas… how do they looks even slightly related??
African butterflies are actually a cousin species to arowana, so they count.
Bettas have a similar profile I suppose.
these look cool
Saw those…took a lot of restraint lol. Tank’s just a bit too small for a school.

Reactions: twentyleagues

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Siamese fighting fish can have similar coloring to Asian arowana. From that point of view it could count towards them being a substitute.

Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less for arowanas. Fighting fish as is are far more appealing.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
How do bettas look like Asian arowana? I’m confused lol

someone also mentioned African butterfly fish to arowanas… how do they looks even slightly related??
Color and in a very small way body shape.

Like Deadeye Deadeye said African butterfly fish are related to arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store