Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
You might find it helpful to look at it this way: literally no one and nothing at all, including bichirs, cichlids, and bichir/cichlid keepers is negatively affected by my viewpoint, however disagreed with it may be.
On the flip side of the coin, this view not only actively prevents my loaches, catfish, and community fish from harm and from doing any harm (discus come to mind here), but also prevents big bichirs/cichlids outgrowing their tanks and having nowhere to go, as well as stunted, water-parameter stressed, Malawi-bloated, and undercrowded-fighting stressed bichirs/cichlids.

Edit: to stay on topic, dwarf gourami as a substitute for giant gourami. I think most people who wanted a giant gourami would agree with this, dwarfs are much more colorful and peaceful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You might find it helpful to look at it this way: literally no one and nothing at all, including bichirs, cichlids, and bichir/cichlid keepers is negatively affected by my viewpoint, however disagreed with it may be.
On the flip side of the coin, this view not only actively prevents my loaches, catfish, and community fish from harm and from doing any harm (discus come to mind here), but also prevents big bichirs/cichlids outgrowing their tanks and having nowhere to go, as well as stunted, water-parameter stressed, Malawi-bloated, and undercrowded-fighting stressed bichirs/cichlids.

Edit: to stay on topic, dwarf gourami as a substitute for giant gourami. I think most people who wanted a giant gourami would agree with this, dwarfs are much more colorful and peaceful.
Dwarf gourami are good. My one counter to them is that they have a very high mortality rate due to Iridovirus. Honey gourami, however does not get this.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yikes. Let me rephrase that: in the event that they are iridovirus-free, dwarf gourami would be a good substitute.

In the event that they are not, honey gourami are nice.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yikes. Let me rephrase that: in the event that they are iridovirus-free, dwarf gourami would be a good substitute.

In the event that they are not, honey gourami are nice.
Don’t worry, I got what you meant! Just reminding everyone to be careful when getting one. I lost all my dwarf gouramis the same way.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
That's actually kind of a good coincidence you did. I kid you not, yesterday I was seriously debating myself whether to replace the planned tiger barbs for my 2nd 473 liter with some dwarf gouramis, and I now know I'll have to be quite cautious if I do that.

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
Favorite tankbusters are probably puffers and tanganyikan cichlids.
a group of 6-8 pea puffers will work great for 20 gallon desktop tank and they definetely have the attitude of their larger cousins.
I'm not a fan of lurker puffers, but I've heard abei are somewhat active and german keepers have had success keeping them in groups by housing them like pea puffers as they aren't as aggressive as the typical lurkers common in the US hobby
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.44.56 AM.png
and as always there's the classic schoutedeni puffer.

Beyond that, lamprologine tanganyikan cichlids certainly aren't tankbusters but they do have loads of personality and unique breeding behavior compared to mbuna or even tropheus.

Altolamprologines get to a respectable 6" max for all three species and the heavy built calvus/compressiceps remind me of groupers while the more streamlined altolamprologus fasciatus reminds me more of a snapper.

The neolamprologus genus is one of my favorite genera and they have many stunning fish. Among rock dwellers, the sexfasciatus, tretocephalus, pulcher, brichardi, gracilis, helianthus, nigriventris, leleupi, buescheri, and cylindricus all among my favorites although they can all be very aggressive when breeding. Large sexfasciatus and tretocephalus males may reach 6"-7" on rare occasions, but most of these species should get to around 4" normally.

The shell dwelling branch of neolamprologus is even smaller than the rock dwellers ranging from 1.5" for the colony dwelling multifasciatus, while dull is one of the most interesting cichlids in terms of behavior to 6-7" for the giant callipterus males. Most of the other shell dwellers can be kept in a pair in a 20-30 gallon and some favorites include meleagris, occelatus, brevis katale, and ornatipinnis which are around 2". Some beefier ones include boulengeri and calliurus which reach around 3" and will hold their own with larger rockdwellers.

Julidochromis are also a fun genus that remind me of a less aggressive form of melanochromis. Especially the ornatus and marksmithi are stunning black and yellow fish.

An underrated genus of lamprologines is telmatochromis. These rockdwellers dont have the coloration of neolamprologus, but they do have a menacing appearance and powerful jaws reminding me of hoplias. They range from 3" for the shelldweller form of temporalis shell to 6" for dhonti. These contain some of the most aggressive tanganyikans on par with the rock dwelling neolamprologus although telmatochromis vittattus is a pretty tanganyikan that is relatively peaceful.

Outside of neolamprologines , the paracyprichromis and cyprichromis genus are relatively peaceful schoolers ranging from 4"-6" with stunning colors, they kind of remind me of colorful sardines.
Xenotilapia and callochromis are peaceful bottom schoolers ranging from 4-6" with interesting behaviors and funky appearances. Rather fragile fish, but they remind me of social gobies.
Then there's Ophthalmotilapia which reminds me of saltwater puffers in their fancy nests in the sand. A bit aggressive but nowhere near the neolamprologines. They also have long trailing fins. They get a bit larger from 6"-8"

Here is a massive community tank with many of the species I listed. Contrary to the stigma of cichlids being aggressive, this is a very peaceful tank (helped by the size of it).
But with tanganyikan cichlids its very possible to build a peaceful community even in a reasonably sized tank.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Convict - any large aggressive Central American cichlid
Second that. A white male looks just like a big white Midas, even the wild type is similar to a barred Midas. And not to mention the aggression, they can give even the largest cichlids a run for their money. If they were bigger, they may be the worst out there.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I wonder why blue acaras aren't more popular among cichlid fans. They could be a good substitute for oscars, jaguars, wolves, red devils, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store