Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wonder why blue acaras aren't more popular among cichlid fans. They could be a good substitute for oscars, jaguars, wolves, red devils, etc.
They have their place. One of my favorites. Many don’t like the fish inbred for color, like EBAs. Furthermore, they simply can’t hold their own among larger cichlids. Definitely one of the best options for a smaller cichlid though.

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
They have their place. One of my favorites. Many don’t like the fish inbred for color, like EBAs. Furthermore, they simply can’t hold their own among larger cichlids. Definitely one of the best options for a smaller cichlid though.
Personally, its more bc they are kinda the tweener between the large and aggressive cichlids like GTs, JDs, and Oscars, and the community cichlids which can go with tetras. I"d definetely prefer the laetacara if I wanted a community tank, and i'd prefer an andinocara if I wanted a cichlid community.

Reactions: Deadeye

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Can't believe I didn't think of this one before: Asian upside-down catfish for black devil catfish. Not much difference at all except size and swimming posture (the latter is a cool bonus that comes with the former fish).

Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

kingthedog

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Second that. A white male looks just like a big white Midas, even the wild type is similar to a barred Midas. And not to mention the aggression, they can give even the largest cichlids a run for their money. If they were bigger, they may be the worst out there.
Straight facts

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My personal African convict cichlid is the krib.
Mostly because they breed a lot and go nuts when they do. My pair was worse than my convict.

Reactions: nzeng1111

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Similar to earlier suggestions, the dwarf pufferfish is an even better substitute for the giant pufferfish. Not only do dwarf pufferfish stay much smaller, they don't need shelled foods, they don't have poop the size of dog poop, and they don't have a $10/day food bill like the giant pufferfish does.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Similar to earlier suggestions, the dwarf pufferfish is an even better substitute for the giant pufferfish. Not only do dwarf pufferfish stay much smaller, they don't need shelled foods, they don't have poop the size of dog poop, and they don't have a $10/day food bill like the giant pufferfish does.
They still do appreciate shelled foods like snails though! Mine goes crazy over them.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store