Your least favorite aquarium fish and why

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Balloon body, short body, mutated parrot mouth, are all the same undesirable traits to me.
They may be cute to some, but is cramming a bunch of organs in an un-natural way, in too small a space good for a species long term?

Or simply trying to achieve certain colors, a big knot on the head, that may be bright or distinctive, out front, but sacrifice genes for robustness instead.
Look at the average EBJD, or most line bred Rams, would you consider them robust?
Most die if you look at them sideways

But even with hybrids, all you can really see, is visual shape and color.

What you can't see, are the genes that may be scambling in undesirable ways.
A certain species of fish may have evolved abilities to withstand specific environmental changes, (cold/hot/less oxygen, heavy flow) sacrificed, when bred with another species without the natural gauntlet of survival of the fittest test given by nature, these robust genes go by the wayside..
Consider that the propensity to get Columnaris was once known as "Flowerhorn" disease".

Although the disease has been around for years, in a moderate way,
once FHs became popular, it has seemed to increase in epidemic proportions.
Just coincidence?
Back in the 1950s, and 60s, Columnaris was dubbed "Live Bearer"disease, and occurred when it was popular to randomly cross breed live bearer species.
Another simple Coincidence?

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
What I don't get is crossing fish so similar it makes no sense, like shovelnose and rtc. You end up with a nothingburger fish. Then someone yells WAAY COOL, YA WANNA BUY IT? because they got bored and want to palm the fish off on someone else.

Shortbody channel cats = grotesque
acara/g terror crossing = pointless

1678551327269.png

Reactions: jjohnwm

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
What I don't get is crossing fish so similar it makes no sense, like shovelnose and rtc. You end up with a nothingburger fish. Then someone yells WAAY COOL, YA WANNA BUY IT? because they got bored and want to palm the fish off on someone else.

Shortbody channel cats = grotesque
acara/g terror crossing = pointless

View attachment 1514715
Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you keep bloody parrots?

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I can appreciate all fish types but personally do not like to keep inactive, sedentary, boring fish. The common pleco comes to mind...most plecos really. I also have never had the desire to keep polypterus for whatever reason.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store