Your Views On Hybrids?

Irondale

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Citrinellus;4232735; said:
all domestic dogs are the same species... Canis lupus... poor example to compare to.

I personally dislike them, but they make good feeders.
Wrong. I'm am affiliated with many breeders and they also have other natural canines like Dingo, and many more.

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
dingo is just a subspecies to Canis lupus. I think. I watched a program on finding the ancestor to the domesticated dog and ther were dingos in the program.

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
dogofwar;4252358; said:
What is "natural"? Is keeping any animal in captivity "natural"?

Fancy fish - different than what is found in nature - have been the focus of captive fishkeepers since, say, 200AD when people started to develop colored carp (koi).

Fancy fish - both hybrid and line bred - make up a big portion of fish kept in aquaria: fancy goldfish, fancy bettas, flowerhorns and parrots, fancy angels, long-finned fish, fancy livebearers, etc. Is keeping a long-finned betta wrong? It would get snatched up and eaten in a minute in its natural habitat...but it sure looks cool!

People get personal taste and ethics mixed up when discussing this topic. Just because one person likes classical music and another likes rock doesn't make rock music unethical...

Matt

PS The argument that hybrid fish are bad because irresponsible / unscrupulous people pass of hybrids as "pure" fish has nothing to do with hybrid fish and everything to do with irresponsible / unscrupulous people. Do you think that a person who's willing to sell small flowerhorns as something that they're not would hesitate for a moment to sell tank raised "pure" cichlids as wild? Or small cichlids of a common species as a rarer one?
^What I meant but said much better lol

darippa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
NYC
Well, when it comes to dogs they are heavily regulated. If you want a pure bred Red Nose Staff Terrior you can get one. For a hefty price. Not so easy when it comes to our fish. Back in the 80s I could send my little sister to the LFS and tell her to bring me five Cichlasoma Synspilus. Now thats just not happening. The tank might say Synspilus but I now Im not seeing any pure Synspilus anywhere.

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
I personally like hybrids, although, if I want to go out and buy a Texas Cichlid, I would expect it to be 100% Texas Cichlid, not a hybrid. I think this is almost everyone's view on the subject.. I'm all for hybrids and experimenting with fish breeds, but I'm against polluting lfs and other stores with hybrids and then the stores distributing the fish.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Unnatural does not necessarily mean "bad." Our computers are unnatural. So are our tanks. In this day and age we use very few things that are natural.

Irondale;4519812; said:
Wrong. I'm am affiliated with many breeders and they also have other natural canines like Dingo, and many more.
There are other Caniforms, which fall under Carnivora with the Feliforms, but that person was talking specifically about the domestic dog, Canis lupus familiaris. Dingos are Canis lupus dingo, and are not domesticated. But all domestic dogs, despite breed, are the same species.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Nothing wrong with hybrids...to doubt and hate hybrids is to hate yourself.

Most people are not purebreds anyways, who cares. Just like dogs. There will still be enough people raising purebreds so we can keep mutts and so forth. Only most indigenous people are close to purebreds. I am asian and but I don't think I am ethnically purebred. You may be white or black but ethnically and regionally you are hybrid. Hybrids are okay because we are.

dimistrig

Feeder Fish
Jul 24, 2012
australia
very interested to know ppl's defintion of a hybrid v xbreed ?? as far as im concerned a "hybrid" fish are fishes that would not naturally meet in the wild , where as cross bred fish are fish from the same BUT not limited the same species family . tho there is such thing as natural hybridisation i dont class that as the same type of hybrid as extreme natural forces , force natural hybridisation , 98% of aulonocara are a prime example of this , and then to further they have also naturally xbred . so yeah very interested to know ppl's definition of this as im having a discussion about hybrids and cross breeds on another forum at the moment .
cheers
dimistrig

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
very interested to know ppl's defintion of a hybrid v xbreed ?? as far as im concerned a "hybrid" fish are fishes that would not naturally meet in the wild , where as cross bred fish are fish from the same BUT not limited the same species family . tho there is such thing as natural hybridisation i dont class that as the same type of hybrid as extreme natural forces , force natural hybridisation , 98% of aulonocara are a prime example of this , and then to further they have also naturally xbred . so yeah very interested to know ppl's definition of this as im having a discussion about hybrids and cross breeds on another forum at the moment .
cheers
dimistrig
Hybrid - the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera.

Being born in captivity has nothing to do with being a hybrid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store