Zaire Green can't sink??

RE TurboII

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
San Diego, California
I got this girl about 3 weeks ago and shes been fine. she got very acustomed to my tank and was eating cut shrimp the next day. last night i noticed that she was swimming the tank ALOT. which is really unusual cuz she never does that. I moved her to my 45 growout tank and now she just floats at the top. i try to nudge her down and she tries to swim down but her body wont go. any thought or suggestions?

RE TurboII

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
San Diego, California
I moved her to the 45 for a reason kirk. remember i do have a standard overflow box and a floating bichir will get stuck, plus my pump puts out so much that the flow into the box in strong. id rather treat it in the 45 then let it die stuck to the overflow slits

plus when i moved her she was no longer swimming just floating around getting smashed by the current and every 2-3 mins she would end up stuck to the overflow

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
Mine just got that same problem. the albino senegal that is. haven't moved tanks or anything. was doing fine, now it just keeps floating towards the surface. it is trying to stay down, but is having to work hard to stay down and keeps floating to the surface. IDK what it is and it is starting to worry me.

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
i have had that happened to a bichir that i had for couple years and it developed this condition out of the blue, so it definitely wasn't because it was still adjusting or something. and the problem was that the bichir couldn't sink to the bottom, so it wasn't floating out of choice.

anyway, i never quite figured out the cause. it could be trapped gas, or swim bladder problem? or whatever else. i tried meds, but it didn't help and the bichir didn't make it. sometimes if you're lucky, it'll go back to normal after a short while on its own (eg if it somehow manages to release the trapped gas). and just as often the bichir won't make it. and i'm sorry to say but its not clear to me what can be done to maximize the chances that it'll recover. you can try medicating it as if it's an internal bacterial infection, but even so i think it's still a wait and see kinda thing. good luck!

spoofsjsc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Marikina, Philippines
not meant to worry you more but that was how my first albino sen was acting before it gave up (living). he started showing signs of fin rot and... well.
but maybe the floating thing also happens when the fish needs to pass gas...
if it happens all the time, my guess is that it could be a sign of weakness. let's wait for yet some more replies.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Infblue pretty much covered it in his post -Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store