Zamora Woodcat. I tried to say no, but he was too amazing.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
That was a day time shot. I was lucky. Both of them are usually hiding behind the filter intake now a days, but they are swimming around more often. I think they're finally comfortable with my presence. I rarely turn on the aquarium lights, so I think that helps.

ash1712

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
Pontefract England
I have a pair of these and there just starting to grow. They'll eat nearly anything, i've just got them eating freeze dried shrimp from the surface after the lights go out, it's fun to watch.

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
aahh great thread!! i just picked up two of these guys LOVE them!...even got some shots..they dont hide very much at all.
these two are just a little over an inch.
View attachment 714650100_6053.jpg100_6049.jpg

100_6053.jpg

100_6049.jpg

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Wow, never seen them before...cool catfish

Found this info online that I thought I'd tell you as it may be helpful to you,

"Ideally, it should be kept in groups of at least three (the more the better), which will make it more comfortable in the aquarium and more apt to eat."

"This species prefers a tank with subdued lighting (provide a layer of floating plants) and lots of hiding places in the form of driftwood, rocks and inverted flowerpots in which it can hide during the day."

"Maximum length: 13 cm (5 in)"

"Water: Freshwater 22 °C (72 °F) - 26 °C (79 °F)"

"The Zamora Catfish is nocturnal and may seem reclusive at first. Once it becomes accustomed to the tank and feeding schedule, it will spend more time in the open."

"Strong filtration and regular water changes a must."

"Compatibility: Certainly a peaceful, surprisingly robust, catfish suitable for most community aquaria. Not to be trusted with very small fish as this fish is an effective hunter."

Resources:

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Zamora_Catfish
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=352

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry to rekindle the post, but how long do they live?
I see rapid growth suggesting not so long, is why I ask.
I don’t think there’s any official estimate out there. But based on other fish of similar size I’d say 4 years.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If I had to guess, I'd say 10 years, maybe longer.

In general there is no hard relationship between the growth rate and longevity, it seems to me.

Reactions: kno4te

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Decade+ is my preference, so fingers crossed.
School size of at least three: check. These are a little costly and pig-in-poke site-unseen, but if they're as fun & attractive as you say then I'll swing for 4(+)
Conspecific aggression, particularly at spawning times?

Re. gobbling tank-mates: is mouth size like most catfish, as in "bigger than it looks"?

Any issue and/or will they school of find schooling comfort with clown loaches? I'm noting that their preferred temperatures are a good 5C lower than clowns, but other habitats & parameters seem similar.
Do they suffer tendency to get curious & jam themselves into tight spaces and die, as per (clown) loaches?
Or jumping hari-kari?

Red-tail & rainbow shark issues? IE anything particular, as sharks tend to be... a**holes regardless.
Same query re. ghost & African knives, which can have similar tendencies.
Loads of bamboo in the plan, some already in the intended tank so long as they don't mind snuggling - which they don't seem to.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store