Zebra Danios eating jack dempsey fry?

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
I have a couple zebra Danios in a 40 gal breeder with a pair of jack dempsey's that have some fry, they aren't quite free swimming yet but I was wondering if the Danios could possibly eat the fry at night or maybe when the fry are free swimming?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yes, if my giant danios are anything to go by they will eat some of the fry once they are free swimming. Depending on how many you have though that could be a blessing and it will be some good nutrition for the danios. :D

You could try adding a divider to keep the danios in one area of the tank or once the fry get big enough you can start like a 10 or 20 gallon to use as a growout tank. I would let the parents handle it though, if they are good some will survive.

Reactions: Alexander342

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Danios are bottomless pits, they'll clear the fry quick

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Danios eat their own eggs and fry so why not the fry of other fish.

I have five brilliant rasboras in a tank with a breeding pair of angel fish. I put the rasboras in a short while back to see if their presence might trigger a stronger parental response in the angels. The angels have spawned several times but were eating the eggs after a few days. They are on the second batch of eggs since adding the rasboras and a few wrigglers were still around today.
Not sure how this will play out but the rasboras currently leave the wrigglers alone.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
If it fits in their mouth......................... we all know what will happen.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store