Zebra shovel nose won't eat

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
I think that's a jurenese.. could be wrong..

DJC776

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
Norfolk, UK
AwolAngler you are right it is a Brachyplatystoma Juruense or poor man's Tigrinus. You can tell them a mile off by how they elevate themselves off the aquaria base.

AwolAngler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
South Eastern Ma.
www.myspace.com
Sometimes multiple species go under the same common name and I've def heard both of those cats being called zebra shovelnose cats... and though the pattern and fins on a Tigrinus is much nicer, I kinda like the head of the Juruenese better to be honest.

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
definately a juruense ,could be intimidated by tiger shovelnose which will make him stressed and therefore more susceptible to ich, also the tiger will probably get more than his fair share of food!

Stingingrays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
well the juruense has found a new perch on top of the castle like in the pics which is in direct flow of the filters which is kinda funny but good for me cause I drop the black worms in the flow and they go right to him. He is eating more then the tiger at the moment. The tiger only lays under his rock and eats what flows under the rock. So for now I am not really worried about being bullied or anything like that. They were together at the store and will be together for a little while longer before I move the tiger and give the juruense the tank for him self. But he has been fine up until last night.

DJC776

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Stingingrays if you get one of those plastic 'invisible' predator feeding sticks you can target feed your juruense. I lost one as he got ragged by my other fish in a 5' aquarium and seemed well prone to bacteria infections. Horses for courses but I much prefer my Tigrinus to my Juruense as the markings are much more distinct.

Notice you have stingrays as well which are well cool. There was an article in Practical Fishkeeping in the UK by Richard Hardwick who basically said that you shouldnt keep Tigs or Jurs in with stingrays as they will eventually get tagged by the rays. No doubt there are loads of aquarists who have got away with it but why take the risk.

Regards

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store