Albino rays

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
It's already been done a few times before

Nico markH and another nameless person have been trying to breed for a long time

Just because you have albino parents it's no sure thing the pups will be albino your chances just get increase a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I am glad someone is backing me up cuz i gave up looking for that article lol. All I remember about it is that it said the rays aren't true albino, albino parent/s do not produce albino pups as expected, and one guy had an albino pup appear after breeding the same pair of regular rays for over 10 years...

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I am glad someone is backing me up cuz i gave up looking for that article lol. All I remember about it is that it said the rays aren't true albino, albino parent/s do not produce albino pups as expected, and one guy had an albino pup appear after breeding the same pair of regular rays for over 10 years...
I'm sticking to bs until hard evidence is produced. I am not a genetic expert but I am certain they are true albinos. Also albino can't just randomly pop up. Maybe that guy had 2 heterozygous albinos and didn't know it. To prove hets out it can take as many as 40 offspring.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I'm sticking to bs until hard evidence is produced. I am not a genetic expert but I am certain they are true albinos. Also albino can't just randomly pop up. Maybe that guy had 2 heterozygous albinos and didn't know it. To prove hets out it can take as many as 40 offspring.

How can you be certain they are albino. True albinos have red eyes due to a lack of pigmentation. The article claimed that their "albino" rays did not have red eyes. Can you confirm that "albino" rays lack pigmentation in their eyes? I think most of us recall our 6th grade science lesson regarding recessive genes but if albino rays sell for big $$$ then don't ya think someone would have made the investment to pump out pups if it was that easy? If it IS that easy, someone needs to get on it!
On another note, I want to know what happened with Pedros pup and how much he sold it for....

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
How can you be certain they are albino. True albinos have red eyes due to a lack of pigmentation. The article claimed that their "albino" rays did not have red eyes. Can you confirm that "albino" rays lack pigmentation in their eyes? I think most of us recall our 6th grade science lesson regarding recessive genes but if albino rays sell for big $$$ then don't ya think someone would have made the investment to pump out pups if it was that easy? If it IS that easy, someone needs to get on it!
On another note, I want to know what happened with Pedros pup and how much he sold it for....
Lol your right Mr allgood. Your the genetic wizard and because you read one paper on how they are not true albinos that must be it! Let me guess Bigfoot is real too? Nobody is pumping them out because they are a minimum of 10k+ I'll bet you couldn't sell a fish for 10k. If I could afford 20k to buy a pair I would.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
There are more albinos out there then we see here on MFK in the few threads we have. Supply and demand. Keep the supply low and they demand top dollar. Plain and simple.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
The pearls top stingray offers are red eyed albinos

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
The point of this thread wad to see different species of albino rays because I along with numerous others would love to own some. Not to prove or disprove the genetics... that's another thread.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
The point of this thread wad to see different species of albino rays because I along with numerous others would love to own some. Not to prove or disprove the genetics... that's another thread.

Thread took a mind of its own didn't it?! Lol!!!

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I was simply mentioning a paper that I read had quite some time ago written by someone attempting to breed albino rays. You were the one to quickly dismiss it with no supporting facts. Of course I have no support facts either but I am not claiming one way or another, just pointing out possibilities. You even somehow KNOW they are true albinos despite the fact that albinism isn't the only pigmentation disorder that cause a lack of pigmentation in the skin. Perhaps you were talking about a particular ray? We all want an albino so getting down to the nitty gritty of it is necessary. This makes dismissing something TWO ray keepers say just plain ignorant. Obviously we have both done research on the subject. I guarantee I don't know anything compared to T1 but I can tell you I read a paper once upon a time, but I don't quite recall all the details... :beer:?

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
This thread is a classic example of why serious ray breeders/keepers don't contribute to this forum. Albino rays exist and leucistic rays exist! The flower ray in this thread is at most a leucistic specimen as it has black bands on the tail. Most of the pearls and leopoldi's I have seen are albino. Also there was a Motoro bred in France that was a one off. Albinism is recessive, but that is simplifying genetic heredity conditions too much. Most of the comments here are utter nonsense with no actual understanding of the true facts. It's a pity that the mega tank website is no longer as the page on albino rays was very accurate and informative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store