Fishing season 2k14!!!!!!!!!!!!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, it was just in general. Their invasive, correct?
I use grippers for all of my larger catches and I never see any physical problems with the fish afterwards, you really can't be holding walleye without them (which are relatives to Zander to give you an idea of what they look like since you're over in Europe and probably don't have walleye).

and technically carp are invasive yes but they live everywhere in the continental US and there's no getting rid of them now or ever so I treat them like natives. I love carp, such friendly easygoing fish :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Lip grips are not too bad anyway, just never use a gaff.
Ive only ever used a gaff once and that was for a fish that we kept, an amberjack. Tasted awesome and me and my family and some seagulls enjoyed all of the fish :)

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
Carp are regarded as nuisance/trash fish in the US, so that won't matter :)
just because they're trash fish doesn't mean everybody thinks its okay to destroy them. they play an important role in many of our lakes and rivers, only the ignorant kill their catch for the hell of it. As far as lip grippers being damaging, yes and no. they're damaging when improperly used, as they are in this picture. Never hold a fish more than a couple pounds fully vertical with them, use the grippers and support the fish near the back when possible to avoid organ damage

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
just because they're trash fish doesn't mean everybody thinks its okay to destroy them. they play an important role in many of our lakes and rivers, only the ignorant kill their catch for the hell of it. As far as lip grippers being damaging, yes and no. they're damaging when improperly used, as they are in this picture. Never hold a fish more than a couple pounds fully vertical with them, use the grippers and support the fish near the back when possible to avoid organ damage
Oh ok, didn't know. Thanks for the tip!

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I use grippers for all of my larger catches and I never see any physical problems with the fish afterwards, you really can't be holding walleye without them (which are relatives to Zander to give you an idea of what they look like since you're over in Europe and probably don't have walleye).

and technically carp are invasive yes but they live everywhere in the continental US and there's no getting rid of them now or ever so I treat them like natives. I love carp, such friendly easygoing fish :)
I remember reading a study about lip grip damaging or something. Are you sure you cant get Walleye in a gill grip?
There is a population of Carp in Denmark too, Mirror and Common. May i ask what you catch carp on? I found a pond (Or little lake) with a large amount of large Common and Mirror carp. I can see them in the surface but cant seem to be able to get them to bite, ive tryed Nuts, bollies, and worm. I had a little action on earthworms, and lost one after a short fight that was about 15lbs, but really they dont seem to be that interresting in worm, maybe im just doing something wrong.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I remember reading a study about lip grip damaging or something. Are you sure you cant get Walleye in a gill grip?
There is a population of Carp in Denmark too, Mirror and Common. May i ask what you catch carp on? I found a pond (Or little lake) with a large amount of large Common and Mirror carp. I can see them in the surface but cant seem to be able to get them to bite, ive tryed Nuts, bollies, and worm. I had a little action on earthworms, and lost one after a short fight that was about 15lbs, but really they dont seem to be that interresting in worm, maybe im just doing something wrong.
Bread. The place I was fishing has a spillway about 10 yards away that there is literally more carp than water in. It was no challenge at all to hook one outside the spillway. Walleye have sharp teeth like appendages in their gill rakers.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Best bait you will ever get for carp (except high-tech stuff) is white bread (toast). Make it into a kind of sheet around the hook so it floats..

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Dog biscuits on a hair rig hook mate , stays on multiple casts much like a pop up boilie would , drives me crazy when small carp peck at the bread to get it off the hook lol :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store