400 gallon Glass Build

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Awesome build! That seam on the bottom would make me nervous though, Im sure it will be fine. I hope to hear positive things from it in the future. One day I would like to do a build similar. I was planning on 6x6x2.5 with a plywood bottom.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Awesome build! That seam on the bottom would make me nervous though, Im sure it will be fine. I hope to hear positive things from it in the future. One day I would like to do a build similar. I was planning on 6x6x2.5 with a plywood bottom.
Thanks man, I'm all nervous filling any tank regardless of the seem lol. Honestly I was going to go the plywood bottom route but I know chemically silicone sticks best to glass so I choose this two piece bottom route. They build all large glass this way. The absolute most important aspect with the two piece bottom is building the stand rock solid especially underneath that joint to avoid any movement. I have some framing experience and went ahead and built this stand with all double 2x6s and basically built exactly like a house wall and floor. So the joint (seam) is actually 1⅛ inch thick now which is probably the strongest point on the bottom. This Tank has 4 tubes of structural silicone :)

Reactions: SHARK13

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Mike is there a reason why u chose to use an overflow box? Instead of just maybe having strainers in the bulkhead?
A few reasons, I don't actually have alot of experience with drains and sumps but from what I hear just drains alone with no box can fluctuate water levels. With the box from what I have read it's a much more stable drain system as well as it's surface skimming properties, which really helps with removing the oils and slime from the surface which then also for better oxygen exchange. Might not make a difference with fresh but I figured it could only benefit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store