Ways to speed up nitrogen cycle

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
In any uncycled tank, the ammonia and nitrites will shoot right up, quick start or equivalent, adds nitrifying bacteria so that in essence the bacterial colony is immediately established.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
From what I remember of other posts about API's Quickstart, it does not contain the actual bacteria that would grow in your aquarium once properly cycled, but it does contain similar type(s) of bacteria that will aid in the acceleration of the nitrogen cycle, which in turn will eventually propagate the necessary bacteria in your aquarium. This bottled bacteria works like the actual BB, I guess in a sense temporarily replaces the real stuff until it grows. I have been using it to jumpstart new tanks and it works decently well. You will still need to monitor water parameters, and do partial water changes as needed, after you add your fish. I just would not put any delicate fish in until after, best to start with hardy fish that can tolerate adverse conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Technically all you need is a handful of gravel or filter media from an established tank.

The bacteria will reproduce quickly if you add a hardy "volunteer" like rosies or giant danio or whatever is cheap to produce small amounts of waste to feed the bacteria.

Monitor your water.

When you have nitrites this is good.
Nitrates will go to 0.
Ammonia will drop to 0.
Nitrates go up. Done

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Hello everyone if you read my past posts I had to completely abandon my old 40 and I'm in the process of buying a new one as a replacement. When I do sometime next week I want to buy a lot of media as well (preferably not from someone else's tank.) I read somewhere that there is "live sand" and decor you can get that contain loads of ammonia and nitrite eating bacterias but I don't know if these can apply to freshwater tanks. So does anyone know if there is bacteria containing sand and decor for freshwater fish available at generic pet stores, and if not if there are any alternative media sources I can use to speed up the cycle? Also just making sure but to do a fish less cycle all I should be doing is adding tiny parts of fish food daily and measure the water quality, right? And finally if I'm doing a fish less cycle but adding a ton of media sources do I still need to be adding fish food? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=618#.U9toQvldV0s

Here are a couple products designed to start a tank's nitrogen cycle "faster" than normal. I haven't used either, since I've always preferred the fishless cycle methods, but you can get some feedback on these products.

As for your other questions: 1) in fishless cycling (there is already a sticky for this), you can use ammonia or food. The amount of BB you grow will depend on what sustained level of ammonia / food goes into the tank. Tiny amounts = tiny population. 2) if you are adding media sources----which means, media with existing BB in it----then you will need to continue to add some food or ammonia. BB are animals that will (like most animals) die without food. They don't hibernate in absence of food, so keep feeding.

As others have suggested, you should test the water (prior to adding fish) if you want to accelerate the process beyond natural means, else you may have problems.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I have use Tetra safestart withe great success. Works in less than a week

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
In any uncycled tank, the ammonia and nitrites will shoot right up, quick start or equivalent, adds nitrifying bacteria so that in essence the bacterial colony is immediately established.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Would this mean that raising ammonia and nitrite levels are deemed unnecessary with the Quick Start added?

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
From what I remember of other posts about API's Quickstart, it does not contain the actual bacteria that would grow in your aquarium once properly cycled, but it does contain similar type(s) of bacteria that will aid in the acceleration of the nitrogen cycle, which in turn will eventually propagate the necessary bacteria in your aquarium. This bottled bacteria works like the actual BB, I guess in a sense temporarily replaces the real stuff until it grows. I have been using it to jumpstart new tanks and it works decently well. You will still need to monitor water parameters, and do partial water changes as needed, after you add your fish. I just would not put any delicate fish in until after, best to start with hardy fish that can tolerate adverse conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
When you use it, do you do anything else to the nitrogen cycle? Like do you still add ammonia sources or do you just let it sit for a while

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Also one final question, this might be a little ridiculous but, what say I use multiple products that were listed above at once. Would they combine to create one huge explosion of BB and make the cycle instant? XD Or is it better to stick to one product.

Also when I add dosages is it a one time thing or do I continue adding overtime?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I dont think anything will give you an instant cycle in the sense that tou can stock it like crazy and over feed. I would use one product. I went with tetra safestart and my parameters were 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 ppm of nitrate in less than a week but I still fed lightly. I never even registered nitrite. I also tried stability but did not have success though many other members have so I cant say the product isnt good just didnt work for mech

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I just take a sponge filter from a mature tank of mine and put it in a new one hat way I can add fish right away, not all mind you and I still monitor water for the first month or so but I never run into any ammonia or nitrite for any of the times I've done it so far. Once you have one tank going and you can afford to keep buying sponge filters you're pretty much done with any major cycling. At least that's how it is for me and everyone in my local fish club.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store