Ways to speed up nitrogen cycle

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I would add the bottled stuff and some giant danio's, monitor the water for a week then add the blood parrot. GD's would be guinea pigs in this sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
When you use it, do you do anything else to the nitrogen cycle? Like do you still add ammonia sources or do you just let it sit for a while

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You should add some fish right after you dose the tank, but not a whole lot as to overwhelm the bioload. That is what the instructions say. I've started many new tanks this way. Never had a problem yet. But I live in Hawaii where the tap water is so clean you can drink it. Depending on your tap water, things could be different. We still have to treat the water first for chlorine but that's not much of an issue. Years ago our water had very minimal amounts of chlorine that i never even treated the water when doing water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
If you're not sure or hesitant, just do as the others say, add fish that are cheap or would eventually be feeders for your parrot. Just in case something goes wrong, you wouldn't have lost much.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I use a product called cycle, it worked when I used it. Now I have so many tanks I just seed a new one with an old ones ceramic rings or squeeze a sponge filter out in the new tank. Work every time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Very few bacteria in a bottle products work. The ones that work are the ones that require refrigeration. They have a short shelf life and are expensive.
Joe... have you actually used any of the products yourself ? How do you explain the success other members have had with these products ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

claude3rd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2010
Waterbury, CT
Seachem Stability is an excellent way to get started. I have used it for the last 6 tanks I have setup.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
No I haven't used these products. They don't work. LOL! If you know anything about bacteria, they can't survive long in a bottle.
I've had success setting up tanks using nothing, but like I posted earlier, the quickest way for me to cycle a tank is to add aquarium plants to it. I've done it many times in my 30+ years of fishkeeping. I've even set up tanks with no filtration whatsoever, just plants.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Gd= giant danio

I used it on two tanks.

I did dose twice per tank but i dont thinkn it was needed....if you decide to use it check out tetra's site and look at all the q&a on safestartnlots of good info

That's what I thought. Well danios and such are more "aquarium" fish that one would keep as a hobby, but I'm pretty sure my soon-to-be blood parrot would shred them. That's why I'm maybe thinking about getting some rosy reds and leaving them in there until eventually they become feeder food for the blood parrot.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Very few bacteria in a bottle products work. The ones that work are the ones that require refrigeration. They have a short shelf life and are expensive.
I think someone mentioned here that products like SafeStart aren't exactly the raw BB because as you said, BB can't survive in something like a bottle, it needs to come from a raw media source like plants and gravel from an established tank. The product is meant to serve as a substitute, a factor that plays in speeding up the BB process so that in just a short span of time whilst adding a good ammonia source, QuickSafe ---> BB

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
No I haven't used these products. They don't work. LOL! If you know anything about bacteria, they can't survive long in a bottle.
I've had success setting up tanks using nothing, but like I posted earlier, the quickest way for me to cycle a tank is to add aquarium plants to it. I've done it many times in my 30+ years of fishkeeping. I've even set up tanks with no filtration whatsoever, just plants.

You state they dont work how do you know ? How do you explain the two tanks I have used it on ? How do you explain claud3rd's success qith stability ? One of the tanks I set up had a clown laoch and yellow acara the cl showed absolutly no signs of stress ... they arent hardy at all I respect your opinion but I dont understand how so many people just say "it doesnt work" and have not used it. While many have used it and it has worked... proof is in the pudding imo I understand the whole bb cant survive in a bottle but to go from .5/1.0 ammonia 0nitrite and 0 nitrate to 0 ammonia 0nitrite and 5ppm of nitrate is good enough for me

P.s Joe sorry if that sounded condescending wasn't meant to be ...genuine questions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store