Ways to speed up nitrogen cycle

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I dont think anything will give you an instant cycle in the sense that tou can stock it like crazy and over feed. I would use one product. I went with tetra safestart and my parameters were 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 ppm of nitrate in less than a week but I still fed lightly. I never even registered nitrite. I also tried stability but did not have success though many other members have so I cant say the product isnt good just didnt work for mech

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Did you introduce fish the day you set up the tank and just put extra caution as you dosed tetra safe start, or did you introduce fish after parameters were 0? Because you stated that you "fed lightly" although this could apply to feeding the beneficial bacteria ammonia as well, right. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I just take a sponge filter from a mature tank of mine and put it in a new one hat way I can add fish right away, not all mind you and I still monitor water for the first month or so but I never run into any ammonia or nitrite for any of the times I've done it so far. Once you have one tank going and you can afford to keep buying sponge filters you're pretty much done with any major cycling. At least that's how it is for me and everyone in my local fish club.
I did that when I got my first 40, but as I said it had TB and I decided to nuke the whole thing and re-buy all my supplies including a new tank. My 10 gal is occupied by a bunch of really really dirty crayfish that I want nowhere NEAR my new 40 gal, so this is why I'm looking into factory made products.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Did you introduce fish the day you set up the tank and just put extra caution as you dosed tetra safe start, or did you introduce fish after parameters were 0? Because you stated that you "fed lightly" although this could apply to feeding the beneficial bacteria ammonia as well, right. Thanks!

No fish were introduced first as the safestart would need the ammonia when I said I fed lightly meant that the fish were fed lightly as to not overwhelm the immature bb colony. The safestart is a one dose deal... only requires another dose if ammonai levels rise which they didnt. Also requires you wait 24 or 48 hrs bfeore dosing with safestart after using a dechlorinator such as prime also try and not do wc for a couple of weeks. I did my weekly wc and waited a day or so (dechlorinator) then dosed again probably wasn't need but thats nownu did it.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
No fish were introduced first as the safestart would need the ammonia when I said I fed lightly meant that the fish were fed lightly as to not overwhelm the immature bb colony. The safestart is a one dose deal... only requires another dose if ammonai levels rise which they didnt. Also requires you wait 24 or 48 hrs bfeore dosing with safestart after using a dechlorinator such as prime also try and not do wc for a couple of weeks. I did my weekly wc and waited a day or so (dechlorinator) then dosed again probably wasn't need but thats nownu did it.

Makes sense. So I think I'm actually going to get a blood parrot. Would you advise using safe start and getting the blood parrot right after my tank or should I use safe start and fully cycle before I get the parrot?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Its tuff to say I think convention thought would be to cycle your filters first by using a product like safestart or one of the others mentioned and use giant danios as the ammonia source then add your parrot. I used it with a yellow acara and clown loach because my bb was completely wiped out by meds I didn't think the loach would survive the cycling process. Any other time I used safestart I used the gd's as ammonia source ...I just like to play it safe

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Its tuff to say I think convention thought would be to cycle your filters first by using a product like safestart or one of the others mentioned and use giant danios as the ammonia source then add your parrot. I used it with a yellow acara and clown loach because my bb was completely wiped out by meds I didn't think the loach would survive the cycling process. Any other time I used safestart I used the gd's as ammonia source ...I just like to play it safe

That's what my dad suggested too. I was sort of hoping, maybe I could rack up some minnows during the cycle, then when I get my blood parrot they would slowly just become food. I guess it might be cruel because minnows need colder water conditions but I would like to see my parrot put on a nice live show too

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
If you use gd's and safestart ypu should be ready to add your parrot in a week....again safestart worked for me the two times I used it, you could probably go with any of the other products as well

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
If you use gd's and safestart ypu should be ready to add your parrot in a week....again safestart worked for me the two times I used it, you could probably go with any of the other products as well

Thanks so much. Just to clarify, when did you use safe start? Like once in the beginning and once in the middle? Also what is GD stand for sorry it's late haha

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Gd= giant danio

I used it on two tanks.

I did dose twice per tank but i dont thinkn it was needed....if you decide to use it check out tetra's site and look at all the q&a on safestartnlots of good info

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Very few bacteria in a bottle products work. The ones that work are the ones that require refrigeration. They have a short shelf life and are expensive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store