08TRDOFFROAD's 45 Gallon Build

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Now I am trying to figure out flow. I had two koralia 4's in there which was obviously too much. I have since unplugged them and added a power sweep 212 that is 125 gph, and Mini jet 404 pump that is 108 gph. This is almost enough but not a broad enough flow pattern.

I am looking at the Koralia nano, 225 or 425's. I will add two of them. Which of the two would be the best option for my tank. The 225 gph or 425 gph? The dimensions of the tank are 36"x13"x24".

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
MaddMaxx;5104050; said:
Dunno about flow man, but I am really digging your layout! Got a good looking tank on the way!
Thanks! I am very pleased with the way it has come together so far too! Once I can get my flow situation figured out things will continue to improve.

cockroach;5104069; said:
Nicely done.
Thanks!

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
Looking like you are off to a good start.

Dont worry about your green toadstool mushroom. If I move mine at all it gets mad and closes up for a while. I have even almost thrown it out once because it looked so bad and didn't open for several days but it always comes back and looks good.

I think a couple of the 425s would be fine for flow. I have 2 K3s and 2 K2s and an XP3 in my 72 and I dont think its too much flow so you should be fine.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
The Toadstool seems to be coming around. The polyps have been extending further and further each day.

I also picked up a TINY Hippo Tang yesterday (smaller than a quarter)! I tried to get a picture of it this morning, but it is better at hide and go seek than I am. It was tucked into a nook in the rock that I couldn't get a decent picture! I will try to get some tonight when it is out and about.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
seem like you have most everything covered. i like the way the rockwork turned out.

how long did it take to cycle?

i would start using some phosphate media if u havent already.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
It took about 21 days to cycle. Waiting for the cycle is always the worst part of setting up a SW tank from scratch!!!

I am going to drill the tank in the near future to add a 10-15 gallon sump. I will run a TLF Phosban reactor once the sump is set up.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
I personally feel like a HOB overflow is asking for trouble...if the power goes out or the suction gets broken, then you have a wet mess. I am just more comfortable with a drilled tank, especially while living in an apartment...But I have never had any experience with a HOB overflows, just secondhand on the forums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store