1.5 days with the new Motoro

aprime11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Oregon to Florida
i got a ray last week or so, it swims all over. all hides itself when it gets scared suddenly. goes from side to side and hangs in the middle behind drift wood. climbs the sides of the tank sometimes too. active with lights on, more active with lights off.

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
aprime11b;5027913; said:
i got a ray last week or so, it swims all over. all hides itself when it gets scared suddenly. goes from side to side and hangs in the middle behind drift wood. climbs the sides of the tank sometimes too. active with lights on, more active with lights off.
Was it active right away? If not...how long before he started moving around?

PhoMan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2006
Chicago
Do you have any other fish like dither fish in the tank? I find that having dither fish such as silver dollars, etc. help the new fish acclimatize faster, since it's not the only one in the new home.

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
PhoMan;5028036; said:
Do you have any other fish like dither fish in the tank? I find that having dither fish such as silver dollars, etc. help the new fish acclimatize faster, since it's not the only one in the new home.
2 silver dollars, 3 small geos, 3 small heckelii and a small dat. Everyone in the tank is 2" or less exept the silver dollars which are about 4" and of course the ray. I have been watching very closely since the ray was introduced and none of the other fish pay any attention to the ray. The dat occassionally looks at it with some curiosity, but won't go any where near the ray.
I am also aware that these small fish may become the rays dinner....if he ever comes out of his coma!!

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
just words of advise, watch those geos-they love to dig, and will eventually disturb your ray-in my previous experience, I noticed nipping-just a heads up...gl with the little guy!

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
Day 3

Still no movement. Because I had the tank covered and didn't want to bother him, I have no idea if he was out and about last night. He is in a different "position" than he was when I saw him yesterday....about an inch to the left of where he was sitting last night!!! Put some bloodworms in and he showed no interest.
This is certainly not going the way I thought it would......I thought he would be showing himself by now.....not just his eyes!

StinkRay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Canada
Get him some live food dude. Ghost shrimp, black worms, red wrigglers or even chopped up night crawlers. Anything living and fresh going into the tank should get him feeding within a couple days. Once he gets something into his stomach he should start eating well fairly quick.

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
Tonight I took the blanket off the tank and turned all the lights off in the house...except my desk light. Waited about 1/2 hour till everything was calm in the tank. Dumped some bloodworms right over the ray. After about 5 mins he came out and started foraging. He seems to really like being under this very large root that I have. He ventured out almost to the middle of the tank, then seemed to get a bit uncomfortable and found his way back to the security of his root. All in all he was swimming and eating...acting normal... For about 1/2 hour, then buried himself again.
I am so damn happy right now....can't wait till he swims freely with the lights on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store