15 alligator gar

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1061889; said:
longnose gar :)
i thought the snout seemed a little long and the body was narrow, but i figured it was just the angle of the fish. i guess thats why i went with 99% florida/spotted and not 100%. lol!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;1061895; said:
i thought the snout seemed a little long and the body was narrow, but i figured it was just the angle of the fish. i guess thats why i went with 99% florida/spotted and not 100%. lol!
i saved the image and zoomed in a bit...the initial pic makes the snout look a lot longer than it probably really is, relative to the body. that and it's a pretty thick fish too...hence i revised what i said within a few seconds ;) :D

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1061900; said:
i saved the image and zoomed in a bit...the initial pic makes the snout look a lot longer than it probably really is, relative to the body. that and it's a pretty thick fish too...hence i revised what i said within a few seconds ;) :D
lol! the angle of the fish does throw off the proportions a bit. so are we going w/ florida/spotted on this one?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;1061904; said:
lol! the angle of the fish does throw off the proportions a bit. so are we going w/ florida/spotted on this one?
i would say so...would be a very unusual longnose otherwise...i think we can get polypterus' opinion to help seal the deal :)

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1061910; said:
i would say so...would be a very unusual longnose otherwise...i think we can get polypterus' opinion to help seal the deal :)
:popcorn:

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
E_americanus;1061889; said:
looks a lot like a Florida/spotted, but has an unusually long snout given this picture angle...tough one, and a better pic would help. definitely NOT an alligator gar :)

will take a look at this a bit more and get back--
--solomon
Ditto the above, it is likely a Florida / spotted..Maybe a Shortnose??? I doubt it but maybe..Not a Longnose or any Atractosteus species..

Edit: looked at it blown up.. Not a short in any way I would go Spotted / Florida...One of those two...

Cool fish go get it ermgravy :)

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
ok wicked thanks guys!!! i think i will definitely give em a call first thing 2mo.... nelly if u do want them then i will back out! Poly: following the discussion we had the other day, what were the formentioned changes ideally required to house a Florida with more aggressive tank mates? tank mates in question are, 2 silver dats, a few cichlids, a poly, few plecs, tyretrack and a black aro.... rowdiest cichld is a 4" yellow lab... but only ever seen him be a nob to other cichlids... normal he then gets owned by the other party.....
Thanks again guys!!!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ermgravy;1062132; said:
ok wicked thanks guys!!! i think i will definitely give em a call first thing 2mo.... nelly if u do want them then i will back out! Poly: following the discussion we had the other day, what were the formentioned changes ideally required to house a Florida with more aggressive tank mates? tank mates in question are, 2 silver dats, a few cichlids, a poly, few plecs, tyretrack and a black aro.... rowdiest cichld is a 4" yellow lab... but only ever seen him be a nob to other cichlids... normal he then gets owned by the other party.....
Thanks again guys!!!
how big is the tank? cichlids are never really a great tankmate for gars, usually due to the cichlids' aggressive nature, but a 4" cichlid would quickly be outgrown by a Florida gar and then eventually eaten or killed off by said gar (unless the cichlid grew at the same or similar rate of the gar).

plecos and gars are (most of the time) not a good combo either because of plecos habits of slime sucking, which can often be fatal to gars (and bichirs for that matter).

eel should be fine, provided it's an unaggressive individual and about the same size as the gar, give or take. the black arow can be hit or miss, although i've kept this combo successfully, but it depends on the individual...i've kept a big black arow with a decent sized shortnose (most skittish of gar species) and they did just fine, so a more stable Florida/spotted would hopefully do just as well, provided the black arow is unaggressive.

sorry for butting in since this was more or less originally aimed at polypterus, but i wanted to put off doing real, actual work for a few more minutes, so i couldnt resist :) --
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store