15 alligator gar

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
ermgravy;1062132; said:
ok wicked thanks guys!!! i think i will definitely give em a call first thing 2mo.... nelly if u do want them then i will back out! Poly: following the discussion we had the other day, what were the formentioned changes ideally required to house a Florida with more aggressive tank mates? tank mates in question are, 2 silver dats, a few cichlids, a poly, few plecs, tyretrack and a black aro.... rowdiest cichld is a 4" yellow lab... but only ever seen him be a nob to other cichlids... normal he then gets owned by the other party.....
Thanks again guys!!!
the yellow lab may become dinner. what is the second rowdiest fish?

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
lol... thats fine! i completely understand!....

tank wud be 180g for a month max two, then i will have a 7'x4x4'.... will that be ok for life? or i would i need to go larger? could just get a 8'x5' but it would be a squeze to get it in!
as for tank mates, it really is silly how docile my cichlids are, deff feel it wud be a case of the gar killin em to worry bout more than them doin it harm or stress... but i wud deff move my lab n lil fh the hell outa its way... thats no problem! none of my plecs have got a taste for slime yet and i keep a very close eye on them.

what sort of max size shud i expect fom a florida and what sort of growth rater? does the growth rate peak and slow down around whats size if so?
Thanks again!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
what sort of max size shud i expect fom a florida and what sort of growth rater? does the growth rate peak and slow down around whats size if so?
Thanks again!
If you are looking to get the above 15 inch fish this animal is not going to grow very fast or much at all as it has pretty much reached it peak..On average for a fish that size you can expect around 2 or 3 CM a year depending on conditions..It certainly will not be above 8 or 9 CM...

Growth in fish can be variable depending on many factors but a general observed patten to these fish (Florida / spotted) is to reach around 32 t0 38 CM quickly then drastically slow in growth.

Edit: sorry I just converted to metric there as I was just thinking that way while looking over some data here...Can't help it sometimes...

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
ok, that changes things a bit... i can def then provide the fish with alternate accommodation the mo any thing goes wrong! which make me a lil mo confident about this purchase... and will def have to have a long hard think and a lil switch up before i get him if in fact i do....

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
gor for it....sounds a good deal....havent got the right tankmates anyhow.....or space at present.....hope you get them

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
nice one me ole mucca:nilly:
hope it works out for you...
where abouts in bourenemouth is it>?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store