150 gallon plywood aquarium front face modification and background

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
What do you plan on keeping in there, it seems kind of shallow, but maybe its just me being shallow, looks good though

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
bigbaddad;1906682; said:
We have our iguana in the tank right now. lol When resealing the glass I cracked it lol.
That's too bad, I don't remember if you had said , but why were you resealing it? Also you probably already mentioned it, but, how big, and how much was the glass?

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
I picked it up and moved it across the room when i tried to set it down i dropped it and didn't notice any damage when i filled it up with water again it started to leak.

When i replace the glass i am going to replace it with 1'' and search for a better grade silicone.

The original piece of glass was 1/4 '' float glass 94'' by 14'' and i am also going to change the dimensions to fit tight the original as reccomended by garf.org has been nothing but a headache with problamatic gap's.

I have been working with several builds and the succesfull ones were all tight fitting glass panels a 1/6 '' of space on each side to fit without breaking anything.

The price was 115.00

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
bigbaddad;1907411; said:
I picked it up and moved it across the room when i tried to set it down i dropped it and didn't notice any damage when i filled it up with water again it started to leak.

When i replace the glass i am going to replace it with 1'' and search for a better grade silicone.

The original piece of glass was 1/4 '' float glass 94'' by 14'' and i am also going to change the dimensions to fit tight the original as reccomended by garf.org has been nothing but a headache with problamatic gap's.

I have been working with several builds and the succesfull ones were all tight fitting glass panels a 1/6 '' of space on each side to fit without breaking anything.

The price was 115.00
1/4" glass seams very thin to me, but 1" seems awfully thick(heavy, expensive) what did garf recommend as far as thickness? Also, did you mean 1/16" and not 1/6, as far as the perimeter gap was concerned? Thanks for the info

Jim96Sc2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
New York
spiff;1770619; said:
I think that's a record for the longest run-on sentence...

But seriously, according to Butch at Pondarmor, bondo is not a good thing to use with aquarium builds. I asked, I was going to do the same thing. Apparently Bondo deteriorates relatively fast, and absorbes moisture. What he did suggest was to use a high performance non shrinking putty for gap filling in wood, or for real large gaps, to use hydraulic cement.

Hope that helps
That is correct. As a car FANATIC I will say: DO NOT MIX AUTOMOTIVE BONDO AND YOUR TANK! This will end badly. Bondo is porous and meant to absorb paint, even after the hardners.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
yeah sorry i meant 1/16 '' gap as for the the bondo this was a concern on a tank i didn't fiberglass it was a 100 gallon and the base of the tank cracked and started to leak i had to toss the whole thing.

I have never had a reccomondation on a particular product other than the automotive putty to use i put alot of effort into the 150 build.

I used 2 coats of 2 part epoxy gel on the base 1 coat on the rest of the inside and 1 coat across the outside that started to get expensive so i fiberglassed the whole thing.

I started to come to a point where i really did not want to spend anymore money on it filled it up and it left me with a thin white film.

The last step i painted it with a drinking water safe marine paint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store