180 gallon stocking. What would you do?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I would do the Oscar or a green Terror with the Firemouths. I had no luck keeping texas with my fire mouths. They did fine for a while and one day flipped a switch. I have had luck with both GT and Oscars with my Firemouths, at different times of course. Firemouths are a beautiful fish and can defend themselves against like sized fish but will easily get torn apart by larger cichlids.

I think you made a good choice with the FM they are amazing to watch in a group.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I have a 150 with a bumble bee oscar (orbicularis) yellow acara , honduran red point and green phantom pleco.

The wolf wouldnt mix well with some of the other species you mentioned.
uploadfromtaptalk1412605904783.jpg

Red severum are nice
Maybe cryptoheros sajica

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I've decided to go with a single large showcase fish, four firemouths, then some schools of like ten swordtails, and ten buenos aires tetras.

For the single large though I'm having some trouble choosing one. Basically I've been going back and forth between a green Texas cichlid (herichthys carpintis), the regular Texas cichlid (herichthys cyanoguttatus), a tiger oscar (a. Ocellatus), or a jack Dempsey (cichlasoma octofasciatum).m

Anyone kept any of these and had good luck long term with tank mates? And which do you think exhibits the most personality?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The Oscar would eat the swordtails and tetras eventually.
Firemouths get very aggressive when they spawn. They might kill the dithers as well.
Unfortunately, I think the Jack Dempsey and Texas cichlid would also kill the smaller fish too.

How about go the Malawi route? Red Empress and a few other haps, a few peacocks and then if you want some smaller fish, a few Cynotalpia Afras.. You can throw a few Syndonitis in too.

Or you could do a Tang tank .. I'm not an expert on that, but I think you could do a few featherfins and have some smaller Tang cichlids in there. But please get advice from someone else to verify.

The recipe quoted above will not work thoug.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have a 150 with a bumble bee oscar (orbicularis) yellow acara , honduran red point and green phantom pleco.

The wolf wouldnt mix well with some of the other species you mentioned.
View attachment 1041018

Red severum are nice
Maybe cryptoheros sajica

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I love that oscar. Where did you get him?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store