24 Foot Long Tank Recommendations

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
All male haps and peacocks from lake Malawi. You will get the best color and activity level. These fish also have awesome personality.

Ps. I have 17 tanks of africans and the total amount of water isnt even 1100 gallons.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
pm'd a great african supplier who will fix you up totally right

will take a moment and give ya my thoughts

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
labidochromis caeruleus
pseudotropheus demasoni
pseudotropheus zebra "cobalt blue"

though really the supplier I sent you the link to has a killer selection

Pseudotropheus demasoni

emptyhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
Ohio
dpk2313;3865794; said:
NO demasoni they are a pita once they're over 3"

yellow labs
Nimbochromis
and all kinds of aulonocara peacocks

almost all african cichlids will interbreed with similar fish but its perfectly natural, the fry will more then likely be eaten before it matures if left in the tank though

Demasoni will do very well in a tank that size that is appropriately decorated.

You can certainly keep different mbuna together without creating hybrids. The stock I suggested for example should not produce hybrids. IME - a tank with enough rock work will almost certainly allow some fry to grow and reach maturity.

Peacocks would provide great color - but only for select dominant males. I do think that if this tank is in a business and you really want a tank with a huge splash of color - then a great mbuna stock is the way to go. Also, with a tank this size, you could add male peacocks with the mbuna, even smaller haps like fryeri and borleyi. Large haps like venustus, rostratus, etc would be cool, but would not give you as much color as the mbuna (and would eat dwarf mbuna).

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions. One thing to keep in mind is that the smaller the fish compared to the tank, the less you have to worry about how fish will get along long term. I think you could put sand and a ton of rock work, fill it with mbuna and not worry about the stock for a long time. Just be sure to maintain your water quality.

Blaker

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Toronto
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab)
Labeotropheus trewavasae
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
Metriaclima callainos
Pseudotropheus acei - yellow tail

I'm liking the above selection......I'd like to get some red color in there. I need some bottom fish and a school of something.....not everything needs to be african.

I get the natural concept but the tank is for an office....it needs to be colorful and the fish need to work......I want fry to survive and when it gets over crowded we will remove some less desirable occupants.

Greez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Ilinois
:clap:OMG::drool: Wow, amazing tank! :)

Goodluck getting everything set up and running. Can't wait to see more pics :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store